HOB filter sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am facing this problem with my hang on back filter that it gives a sound like air is inside or something. Sometimes this sound goes away and filter is very quiet but sometimes this sound stays for days and its very annoying. It gives like a pshhhh pshhhhh pshhhhhh sound. I tried to adjust the knob but no use. Same problem i had in another of my hob filters in other tank. I tried to record it please see if you can hear in the video and please help how to fix it.

https://youtu.be/3UPVjE163jY

Thanks.

Sounds like air getting sucked into the filter. Is there an air stone near the filter’s intake? The other cause might be a small leak or crack in the filter intake tube.

Sounds like air getting sucked into the filter. Is there an air stone near the filter’s intake? The other cause might be a small leak or crack in the filter intake tube.
Thanks for the reply. There is airstone near. What i did is to took out the inline tube above water surface and put it back again. Filter primed itself and now no sound. As you said there maybe air inside. I still hear occasional sounds but not like before. I need to re adjust the airstone I think.

Air can get trapped in the intake for some time. It will eventually work its way out.
I’m familiar with this sound. Before I purchased a pressurized CO2 System, I was using a yeast based DIY setup and piped the CO2 directly into the intake of one HOB filters. It would make an occasional gurgle noise.

Air can get trapped in the intake for some time. It will eventually work its way out.
I’m familiar with this sound. Before I purchased a pressurized CO2 System, I was using a yeast based DIY setup and piped the CO2 directly into the intake of one HOB filters. It would make an occasional gurgle noise.
Thanks. Yes its very annoying sound really. Glad it is now coming very occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom