HOB overflow box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ditto Eshopps. I did make some mods to mine though. I don't have any mechanical filtration in my whole system so I ditched the prefilter sponge. To quiet it down I changed the drain from just an open pipe to a capped pipe with a hole cut in the side. The cap has a tiny air vent hole drilled in it, no more slurping sound. I did not use their tubing, I hard plumbed it to just dump in the first section of my sump.

Fishguy2727 said:
Ditto Eshopps. I did make some mods to mine though. I don't have any mechanical filtration in my whole system so I ditched the prefilter sponge. To quiet it down I changed the drain from just an open pipe to a capped pipe with a hole cut in the side. The cap has a tiny air vent hole drilled in it, no more slurping sound. I did not use their tubing, I hard plumbed it to just dump in the first section of my sump.

Can you explain this more? I have an eshopps overflow box and I think it is loud. How exactly did you mod the overflow. I tried to make somewhat of a standpipe but I could never get it to fit. Thanks!

I have a CPR OF box and its only downfall is the lift pump, other then that the OF itself runs silent. No modifications needed.

I cut the pipe that comes with it and put a PVC T on it and cut of the bottome of the tee so it is basically a pipe with a hole in the side. On top of that is a PVC cap with a tiny hole drilled in it. This lets air in quietly so you don't get any gurgle noise. This lets full drain without noise.

I also painted the U tube black so algae wouldn't grow inside it.

I have a CPR OF box and its only downfall is the lift pump, other then that the OF itself runs silent. No modifications needed.
i like the CPR overflows also, and i think the aqualifter pump is a plus, not a minus. you just have to replace them yearly, and they are under 20 bucks.

I cut the pipe that comes with it and put a PVC T on it and cut of the bottome of the tee so it is basically a pipe with a hole in the side. On top of that is a PVC cap with a tiny hole drilled in it. This lets air in quietly so you don't get any gurgle noise. This lets full drain without noise.

I also painted the U tube black so algae wouldn't grow inside it.

I like this idea! I will try it.

For specifics... what kind of paint is aquarium/reef safe for the u-tube.. mine looks NAAASTY

Mr.X thanks for the tip, ill need to replace it shortly then. I just replaced the hoses yesterday on it, I did clean the OF yesterday and noticed it ran quite I mean SILENT quiet all last night and so far this morning.

BashBro, KRYLON FUSION is the only one I know of that is tank safe, I painted all my plumbing in black fusion and its held a year later in and out of the water.

Back
Top Bottom