HOB vs Cannister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

6eteeth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Right now on my I'm running a FOWLR, 55gal, live sand and about 30lb LR. I have 2 marinelife penguin 350s with no skimmer. I'm in the market for a skimmer and have been contemplating getting a cannister filter. Its mostly just the noise from the HOBs that is driving me crazy. Suggestions on which one would be best?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In my opinion the best way to go would be to add a bunch more rock and get that skimmer then ditching the filters. The majority of the beneficial bacteria reside on the rock, so the more you have the stronger your system is for breaking down ammonia and nitrites. The skimmer is a no brainer too, thats always gonna be a help for any tank. lol

But if you have other plans, then I would say look into the fluval canisters, I ran a fluval 305 on my 55g for awhile and it worked very well. The only caveat would be is that you really really have to be on your water changes and cleaning the canister as the nitrate buildup can get crazy. :)

How often are we talking for changes? How much?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A canister is the lesser of two evils, but don't bother. You need a decent sump with a good protein skimmer, if you have space in your stand you can retrofit a sump with an overflow box and put the skimmer in there. Still some noise, but a much smarter filtration choice for a stable marine aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom