Hole in toadstool?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Infinity Aquascapes

Aquarium Advice Regular
By one know what's going on here? Waters testing good and it looked good last night woke up and this is what I found..... Anyone seen this before?

I've read about some snails that will eat from the base up? Has anyone expirenced any of this?

Attachments

• image-3121722329.jpg
    image-3121722329.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 98
What else is in the tank and how long has the tank been setup? Something could be eating it? See any sawdust looking material around it?

Thank has been set up since march. There are 5 green chromis, 1 six line, two true percolas, 1 sand sifting goby, 1 hi fin goby. Have various leathers, Lps and Zoas. Have about 40 blue leg hermits, and 1 turbo snail and a couple of nerite snails. Tank is a 75 gallon and has a 40 gallon sump. Water perameters are in check. Doesn't appear to have a any saw dust like shavings around it. Also looking today the stalk seems to have a slight greenish tint to it. Thanks for any help.

Thank has been set up since march. There are 5 green chromis, 1 six line, two true percolas, 1 sand sifting goby, 1 hi fin goby. Have various leathers, Lps and Zoas. Have about 40 blue leg hermits, and 1 turbo snail and a couple of nerite snails. Tank is a 75 gallon and has a 40 gallon sump. Water perameters are in check. Doesn't appear to have a any saw dust like shavings around it. Also looking today the stalk seems to have a slight greenish tint to it. Thanks for any help.

Well often times a hole develops in a toadstool if something has been sitting on it a long time such as a piece of food or detritus that didnt get blown off. This creates a necrotic area that will rot away into a hole. Another possibility is that its being eaten or picked at by something it the tank so keep an eye out for that, especially at night, I have seen a nudi do this before.

Also another possibility is that is splitting or dropping off a bud. While this happens in toadstools I think its highly unlikely in this case. Usually the coral remains unaffected during this (polyps out, looks normal). Also this coral looks young and still growing so I dont see this being the case, but possible.

Back
Top Bottom