Holey Rock Vs. Slate: Best mbuna setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dirt Diggler

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is the best setup decoration wise for mbuna? I've seen a lot of holey rock, and slate being advertised, along with cichlid stones, but I'm not sure what direction I want to go. 45 Gallon tank, 12 mbuna, 1 pleco.

What is the best setup decoration wise for mbuna? I've seen a lot of holey rock, and slate being advertised, along with cichlid stones, but I'm not sure what direction I want to go. 45 Gallon tank, 12 mbuna, 1 pleco.

I'd say holey rock. I have slate in my tank and I hate it! It takes forever to stack, and i can't get it tall enough without it being tipsy or just falling over. Holey rock is better because I think you can stack it easier, and it already has holes made for the fish, plus it buffers the PH which I don't believe slate does.

I too would go hokey rock. Easier to build with, looks more natural it does buffer oh slate does not. If you can find it cheap or can afford it go for it. The cheapest around me is $3.50 a pound which would have cost $700 for the amount of lava rock I have in my 125. But if you can get go for it.

That's the issue I ran into. I like the hokey rock but for the price i got lava for $.30 a pound. I personally like the look of these rocks better than the river rock plus it's more secure

I don't know if this is the look you are going for, but I got a bunch of small boulders from a local landscape/stone supply place for less than a buck a pound. They just look like extra large river rocks to me (meaning they are round and smooth, but not flat), and they passed the vinegar test, so I know they are aquarium safe. I got around 50 lb. rock for around $40. They won't help buffer the pH, but you can always add crushed coral, or use the cichlid buffers in the water. Cheaper alternative to Holey Rock, and you can create whatever caves and territories you want.

Holy rock is expensive.. But if you can spend the money it stacks and looks great..

image-2631342565.jpg

I have slate, river rock, and cichlid stones in my tank, and the fish are very comfortable. Stacked up pretty easily, and there are tons of hiding spots, natural spots that I didn't even notice, until I saw fish squeezing out of them. Holey rock IMO is to expensive, and doesn't offer enough cover. Most pieces have holes, true. But they aren't very big, so majority of the fish can't fit into the holes to feel secure, so you would have to stack in order to make dark caves, which is what my fish look for.

image-2096276827.jpg

I have a skinnier tank, so I stacked it taller, atleast a foot high here. No wobbles.

Attachments

• image-748569690.jpg
    image-748569690.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 259
Actually those pieces of holey rock above me look really good haha. Look hand picked, and expensive though.

I like slate and river rock. I agree that the holey rock doesn't seem to have big enough holes sometimes, although it does look cool

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130709_195044.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130709_195044.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 305
holey rock. Talk to a LFS, and see if you can bulk order. I got 400lbs for my tank for a good price.

For my set up, i have chose lace rock and lava rock with sand. These are some exemples

Attachments

• image-1076431271.jpg
    image-1076431271.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 321
  • image-3569550722.jpg
    image-3569550722.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 1,513
  • image-2585318941.jpg
    image-2585318941.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 2,183
  • image-4239559790.jpg
    image-4239559790.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 242
I have all sorts of mix rock. When I set up my 90 in next week or two ill be trying to go all river rock.

Attachments

• image-3526889476.jpg
    image-3526889476.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 257
I don't know if this is the look you are going for, but I got a bunch of small boulders from a local landscape/stone supply place for less than a buck a pound. They just look like extra large river rocks to me (meaning they are round and smooth, but not flat), and they passed the vinegar test, so I know they are aquarium safe. I got around 50 lb. rock for around $40. They won't help buffer the pH, but you can always add crushed coral, or use the cichlid buffers in the water. Cheaper alternative to Holey Rock, and you can create whatever caves and territories you want.

Right now I have some DIY PVC cichlid caves in my 45 gallon, but I feel that the spaces provided are too big, and waste space that could be used as a hidey hole for another fish to reduce aggression. Besides that, it looks very unnatural, and I see the aquariums that have the rock, and I think it looks nice. I'm a bit worried that my HOB filters would interfere with a rock formation though.

I think that's actually the great thing about using rock...you can place them exactly where you need them. I also have HOB filters and just hardscaped around them. One of my tanks is pretty narrow (only 13 inches) and it still worked out pretty well.

Did you glue the rocks together, or just stack? Does lava rock buffer at all?

i like eriks setup with the mixed, and with lava rock or boulders you can just stack, they stay very well and i have some pretty dam active fish and the rocks are still where i left em.

ive heard all slate can slip off itself and hurt fish plus the corners and edges are way to sharp and need to be sanded down which IMO is way to much work, i got all this (185lbs) rock at a local landscaping business for $14 and i couldnt be happier, my fish are happy as hell too, i recently just rescaped my tank for more height and added another 25lbs of sand heres some before and afters (y)

Attachments

• EBA 008.jpg
    EBA 008.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 172
  • EBA 014.jpg
    EBA 014.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 188
  • image-850984592.jpg
    image-850984592.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 224
If you decide to use holey rock, check area landscaping and rock wholesalers. I got mine at 17 cents a pound. 100 pounds for 17 dollars, not a bad deal

Back
Top Bottom