Holey Rock Vs. Slate: Best mbuna setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah im setting up a 55 gallon african cichlids in the next couple months and think im just going to use aragonite to buffer the ph and maybe try some diy rock sculptures. the biggest pieces of the holey rock around here are also only like 8-9 inches for the bigger pieces so it would also be a pain to stack/glue all those small pieces

If you think rock is expensive in the u.s you want to try buying it in the UK it's a fortune as I wag pointing out to big tex the other day I've had to go for plant pots for now until I can add more stone. They seem to be happy enough for now though.

image-3132230206.jpg

image-1843987756.jpg

If you think rock is expensive in the u.s you want to try buying it in the UK it's a fortune as I wag pointing out to big tex the other day I've had to go for plant pots for now until I can add more stone. They seem to be happy enough for now though.

View attachment 185508

View attachment 185509

hey but that looks good though, im understanding now the price difference lol but the pots are different i like it, you should try breaking some in odd patterns idk just an idea

hey but that looks good though, im understanding now the price difference lol but the pots are different i like it, you should try breaking some in odd patterns idk just an idea

Yeah I've been thinking of doing that mate

One of my buddies is using pots in his tank, but he has a 220 and has much more room to play with. I'll have to swing by a landscaping place. There are a few nearby. The vinegar test, is it pure vinegar in a spray bottle? If it bubbles, it's bad?

One of my buddies is using pots in his tank, but he has a 220 and has much more room to play with. I'll have to swing by a landscaping place. There are a few nearby. The vinegar test, is it pure vinegar in a spray bottle? If it bubbles, it's bad?

this is my advice, take a "field test kit" with you, lol a small rag, a spray bottle of water and one of vinegar, or just regular container like a water bottle, check a few rocks in a pile that you like with vinegar kinda every other one, and once NONE bubble, that pile should be good for tanks, then go with your spray bottle (prefferably) of water and start wetting a few rocks to see what theyre going look like submerged in your tank, trust me it will be night and day difference once theyre wet, then just pick and choose which ones you want, whiter rocks, more yellow tint rocks, more orange edges etc (y)

this is my advice, take a "field test kit" with you, lol a small rag, a spray bottle of water and one of vinegar, or just regular container like a water bottle, check a few rocks in a pile that you like with vinegar kinda every other one, and once NONE bubble, that pile should be good for tanks, then go with your spray bottle (prefferably) of water and start wetting a few rocks to see what theyre going look like submerged in your tank, trust me it will be night and day difference once theyre wet, then just pick and choose which ones you want, whiter rocks, more yellow tint rocks, more orange edges etc (y)

Are you putting any kind of padding under your rocks? I've heard of people using egg container padding from Lowes under their rocks. I'm just trying to get a fix on if I have to pull the substrate out to get rocks in there.

in my 75, i have about 80-100lbs of rock and i dont need it, its when you have above 100lbs of rock and stack pretty high i believe i was told.

Back
Top Bottom