Home Depot T5 HO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake337

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Today I went to home depot to check out their lights. I saw a 4ft long 2 bulb t5 ho light fixture for only 40 dollars. It said 50 watt a bulb each. If I bought this light fixture, would I be able to keep an anemone and lps corals? My tank is 4ft long and 20inches deep. Thanks!

I'd go with 2 or 3 you'll be better off with at least 200 watts Change the bulbs though as the stock bulbs are warm (6500 K) color and will grow algae like mad

The box itself stated T5 HO. Do they sell bulbs there that with different kelvin?

Any reefers know if this light fixture would be good?

I didn't really check if there was a name on the box, it just said t5 HO lift fixture. There was an example one hanging on the side and it was really bright, kinda hurt my eyes by looking at it too long.

The box itself stated T5 HO. Do they sell bulbs there that with different kelvin?

Probably not at Home Depot. You're probably going to have order what you need online or pick them up at your LFS. Mail order you can get the bulbs you need for about $20 each. Unfortunately, that takes a $50 to $90 pretty quick, not including shipping. (The LFS around me want about $35 per bulb BTW.) Since you need at least 2 for a nem, that's $180.

Here's a 4 bulb T5HO for $150 including bulbs:

4Ft/4Bulbs fixture

I don't imagine htese are great bulbs by any stretch, but I think it ends up being a lot more economical than the Home Depot route.

Can't I just buy 48" bulbs at my LFS and put them into the light fixture?

Can't I just buy 48" bulbs at my LFS and put them into the light fixture?

Sure you could! Again, keep in mind that your LFS will likely charge $20 or more per bulb. Also, if your object is to be able to keep a photosynthetic anemone, you need two two-bulb fixtures. That's $100 in fixtures plus $80 in bulbs. $180 > $150.

Also keep in mind the home depot light is not intended to be hung over saltwater and its not resistant to water or corrosion. When it corrodes it can leech heavy metals into the water.

And as stated the bulbs need replaced and for nems you will need minimum 4 bulb. Actually you may have problems with only a 4 bulb depending on depth

The bulbs that come with the lights, are they by good enough or safe for reefs?

What makes them so bad? The Kelvin of the bulbs?

Yes it is the kelvin of the bulbs. The bulbs probably are only 3200k or 4100k you want 10K plus and actinics if you have corals. I found a nice 2 foot 4 bulb fixture on HD's website that might be better ill post the link.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, the only reason I wanted go buy their 4ft lights r because try were only 40 dollars which is extremely cheap. But now that I know that the bulbs aren't good enough, I probably might just leave it alone.

Grizz said:
I'd go with 2 or 3 you'll be better off with at least 200 watts Change the bulbs though as the stock bulbs are warm (6500 K) color and will grow algae like mad

Not true. Natural sunlight is what many corals use. Excess algae comes from excess nutrients in the system. Not the wrong color rating.

TrollI said:
Not true. Natural sunlight is what many corals use. Excess algae comes from excess nutrients in the system. Not the wrong color rating.

Your right and your wrong. 6500k is not natural sunlight underwater. Yes algae is the result kf nutrients however with 6500k lighting it doesnt matter if your test kits read 0 you will grow algae. 6500k promotes algae growth hence why it is used to grow macro algaes in refugiums.

Color has lots to due with algae growth. Its the reason halide, t5, and PC bulbs need replaced on an annual basis. Because old bulbs change in color spectrum.

I know that the bulbs that come with the light fixture aren't good enough for the tank, but I feel like it would be such a waste to just change them when you just get them.

Back
Top Bottom