homemade coral food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
* Bender Mush Recipe-by Hara
When making the blender mush, use the whole creature...unpeeled shrimp, ungutted fish, all the parts of the squid...everything. My mush is made of squid, cod, scallops, shrimp, crab, whatever is seafood and is on sale. I then add nori (seaweed) some garlic oil and zoe (vitamins). Blend it all up, put it in ziplock bags, lay it out flat so that the mush is very thin. Then when it is frozen, you can just break off pieces. Some flake food can be added to thicken the mush if it's to thin and Selcon can be used in place of Zoe. When feeding, remember a little goes a long way

wow, tahts crazy and that would feed all the corals? how much of each seafood do you put in the recipe? thanks

When I make mine, I just buy 2-3 raw shrimp, some cod or whitefish and 3-4 scallops. Ask the person to just put them in a container and ring it up at the highest value if you have to. They look at you funny for the small quantities but just tell them what it is for and you should be ok. Mine usually only cost about $3-4 or less.

The selection at Kroger is not that great :)

This will make 2-3 thin layered ziplock bags of a fresh food. I add tank water for consistancy, Zoe, garlic, nori and what ever else I have.

Once blended it will be small so all fish/corals can eat it. You can blend some parts more than others to get a thin and thick food particle if you have bigger fish as well.

wow .... i am so amazed crazy stuff... can i just do some shrimp, scallops, a clove of garlic, and seaweed? will these feed the invertabrates too?

The food is in the water column and the coral feeds from light water. No real need to get the food on the coral. Target feeding is not required for all corals. I target feed my candy cane and Lobo brain when I feed my clam but I don't think it is necessary. I did not do it before I got my clam.

Just make sure some of the food is blended into small pieces.

As for whats in it, all the items or a few of the items will work. Typically depends on what fish you have. Might not need a lot of seaweed if you don't have any grazers. Just depends. You are looking for a balanced meal :)

Hara said:
* Bender Mush Recipe-by Hara
When making the blender mush, use the whole creature...unpeeled shrimp, ungutted fish, all the parts of the squid...everything. My mush is made of squid, cod, scallops, shrimp, crab, whatever is seafood and is on sale. I then add nori (seaweed) some garlic oil and zoe (vitamins). Blend it all up, put it in ziplock bags, lay it out flat so that the mush is very thin. Then when it is frozen, you can just break off pieces. Some flake food can be added to thicken the mush if it's to thin and Selcon can be used in place of Zoe. When feeding, remember a little goes a long way

where do I get garlic oil and zoe .???
TIA

A little bit goes a very long way

Oh, yes. I made some blender mush for the first time and added about 1/4 pound of each item. The total came up to about 1.5 pounds. It filled three very large zip-lock bags. That was 4 months ago and I've hardly put a dent in the first bag... this stuff is going to last for years. I'm wondering if it will still be okay to use after such a long time.

Back
Top Bottom