honest opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you can get some nice rocks for cheap at most crafts places or the LFS also.

Here's one simple rock setup we did in a photo tank
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j44/davezxtc1/christas/DSC_1005.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j44/davezxtc1/christas/DSC_1109.jpg

I try to keep the taller plants in the background and then using shorter plants as you get into the foreground.

I like your tank overall though and it looks good, it's all personal taste in the end afterall.

One thing you might want to experiment with a little is the placement of the driftwood, it is the focal point so you can capitalize on that by doing most of your work around it. Moving it to the forefront can make a big difference also, here's one example.

This is a very unassuming piece of driftwood but it was placed in a way that it becomes more of a centerpiece than if left in the dead center or towards the back.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j44/davezxtc1/125/planted.jpg

How long before i can remove the fishing wire? Im not sure how long it takes for java moss to attach to driftwood

If you use thread instead of fishing line, by the time the thread rots off, the plants are rooted. At least that is what I did, but I am no plant expert by any means.

hmmm what size tank? 10 gallons? if you have 20 watts on 10 gallons id add some dwarf hairgrass and a little DIY Co2 bc the dwarf hairgrass carpets the substrate

oh dang you need around 60 watts per gallon. unless you only wanna do low light plants then you just need around 30

60 watts per gallon???? I didnt even know it was possible to have 1800Watts on a tank..

Thanks okay~ Ill keep on the lookout for some nice rocks, i think its a good idea.

Give 'em a good scrub and then test them by pooring vinegar on them. If it bubbles up they will raise your tanks pH. ;)

I like all plants off to the side in my tanks. I think the V shape looks neat also, as well as the slanted to the side. I think plants spaced all out looks too "human placed," and IMO they look better being more natural and slightly clustered.
I don't use Co2 or ferts, and my plants are going crazy! Especially my moss, which I just wrapped around rough rocks for a while. And my lights are the ones that came with the tanks. :)

dkpate said:
I like all plants off to the side in my tanks. I think the V shape looks neat also, as well as the slanted to the side. I think plants spaced all out looks too "human placed," and IMO they look better being more natural and slightly clustered.
I don't use Co2 or ferts, and my plants are going crazy! Especially my moss, which I just wrapped around rough rocks for a while. And my lights are the ones that came with the tanks. :)

How do you wrap the moss? Do you use any fish line ?

I didn't use anything, I just tucked the moss under the rock, and it's held for almost a year now. Maybe I can get a pic of it tomorrow. The rock fits in the palm of my hand, and the moss is bigger than my hand. :)

dkpate said:
I didn't use anything, I just tucked the moss under the rock, and it's held for almost a year now. Maybe I can get a pic of it tomorrow. The rock fits in the palm of my hand, and the moss is bigger than my hand. :)

Cool

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice...i made some changes to the tank... i added some more plants, and removed a piece of driftwood. I though 3 large pieces was too much, i attached a picture. Better, worse, or the same? Any opinions or tips, negative or positive would be appreciated. Thanks for all the help everyone! All i have left for plants is a matt of java fern... any ideas where i could use it, or am i good for plants? thanks

Attachments

• P1010461.JPG
    P1010461.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 95
patola_l said:
Hey guys, thanks for all the advice...i made some changes to the tank... i added some more plants, and removed a piece of driftwood. I though 3 large pieces was too much, i attached a picture. Better, worse, or the same? Any opinions or tips, negative or positive would be appreciated. Thanks for all the help everyone! All i have left for plants is a matt of java fern... any ideas where i could use it, or am i good for plants? thanks

i like the new look! kudos!

It does look better I do have some suggestions though. You have basically all tall plants I think it would look much better if you did some grouping with them in the back on either from one side to the other so you have a slope down from one side to the other or so that you create a sort of V shape but not perfectly centered. Also along with moving the taller plants in the back I would find some smaller ones to go in the front. As far as the Java Fern I would suggest attaching it to the wood because if you bury the rhizome of the Java Fern it will rot and the plant will die.

Back
Top Bottom