Honey Gourami...changing colors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chriznat20

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought 2 honey gouramis from my LFS last week. I picked out the 2 smallest ones, as I have a 29g tank and wanted to watch them grow.

I noticed yday that both of the honey gouramis turned blue or purple-ish from their heads about back to their mid back. They werent like this last week!!

I tested my parameters - ammonia=0, nitrites= 0, nitrates=10. I did a 25% water change, as a maintenance measure. Tank is 76f.

So what gives? Are my gouramis trying to breed, are they bored with life and trying to spice it up a little or what? lol.

What are you feeding them?

I feed them "Tetra Color PLUS" flake food - the canister says it enhances color. Also, have freeze dried bloodworms I feed all of my fish about 2x week.

Is that ok for the honey gouramis?

Ok, well I noticed when I had to transfer my gourami to another tank because the other one was agressive, and he ate the same thing as my BGK, i.e. frozen blood worms, brine/mysis/spuilina shrimp, his color never got dark. Now that he is in the community tank because of big tank issues (long story) and eating micro pellets and flakes with the rest of the fish, his color is darker.

most fish turn colors when stressed... thats more than likely the culprit imo

Im guessing the reason they are stressed (if they really are), is because I do not have a background on the tank yet... and they seem pretty shy. Ill run to the LFS on my lunch hour and buy a background and see if that makes a difference. :)

Back
Top Bottom