Honeycomb catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I started the same thread with no replies. I really want some but I don't know if I'll ever even see them.

Oh really? They are suppose to be really hard to find and keep. I have one for about 4 months now. I never saw him eat. He lodges himself behind my heater and doesn't move. I found out that he will only eat floating food. Ever since then I taught him how to hand feed. He is a voracious eater!
I came about him by chance, I use to work at a really big lfs, I was cleaning the tanks(algae) when I saw something dart out from one of the corners of the tank. I asked my manager about him, and he said we hadn't had those for at least a year. They all starved. Well I saved him from those hungry firemouths he was with. And he has been awesome ever since. I just want to know more about them. How big they grow, ph, foods, temp. You know. I can't find any info on them.

Luna112 said:
Oh really? They are suppose to be really hard to find and keep. I have one for about 4 months now. I never saw him eat. He lodges himself behind my heater and doesn't move. I found out that he will only eat floating food. Ever since then I taught him how to hand feed. He is a voracious eater!
I came about him by chance, I use to work at a really big lfs, I was cleaning the tanks(algae) when I saw something dart out from one of the corners of the tank. I asked my manager about him, and he said we hadn't had those for at least a year. They all starved. Well I saved him from those hungry firemouths he was with. And he has been awesome ever since. I just want to know more about them. How big they grow, ph, foods, temp. You know. I can't find any info on them.

They are only really active at night and their very hardy they can survive in a wide range
Ph 7.2-8.1
Temp. 72f-85f
Size 5"-6"inch
Food shrimp pellets, chopped up vegs, and brine shrimp
If u go to aquariumfish.net u can get another one there for $10

They are fairly slow growers they dont get full size for like 3 years maybe longer depending on how much he's eating

Really I see them around..they are available on a couple sites I wanted to order from. Do you have driftwood in the tank? They need driftwood, that's what they prefer to hide under/behind. Their absolute max size is 3", and I think 2 should work in a 20 depending on the rest of the stock. They are supposed to hide most the day, but become pretty active at night, actually using different parts of the water column. Like most catfish they do better with atleast one buddy. They are carnivores and should prefer thawed frozen food that will sink such as tubifex worms, bloodworms, brine shrimp, and mysis shrimp. If you're searching for info on them, make sure you also look for oil catfish and driftwood catfish since those are common names for them. Don't worry about pH with them, temp they are pretty versitile on as well, whatever you need to keep it at for the other tankmates should work..anywhere from 76-82 would be good.

I do have driftwood. My little guy stays behind the filter

Attachments

• image-397619002.jpg
    image-397619002.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 121
  • image-1783621376.jpg
    image-1783621376.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 116
  • image-1421230996.jpg
    image-1421230996.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 122
  • image-3990619042.jpg
    image-3990619042.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 118
Oh wow that's surprising! Usually they will spend the time the light is on down low under something if possible. Do you ever see it doing..anything? LOL I want to order a pair but I'm not sure..

siva said:
Really I see them around..they are available on a couple sites I wanted to order from. Do you have driftwood in the tank? They need driftwood, that's what they prefer to hide under/behind. Their absolute max size is 3", and I think 2 should work in a 20 depending on the rest of the stock. They are supposed to hide most the day, but become pretty active at night, actually using different parts of the water column. Like most catfish they do better with atleast one buddy. They are carnivores and should prefer thawed frozen food that will sink such as tubifex worms, bloodworms, brine shrimp, and mysis shrimp. If you're searching for info on them, make sure you also look for oil catfish and driftwood catfish since those are common names for them. Don't worry about pH with them, temp they are pretty versitile on as well, whatever you need to keep it at for the other tankmates should work..anywhere from 76-82 would be good.

I have one and he's around 5"so the 3"max is alittle off but agree with the rest

He comes out when I feed. He positions himself upward so that if I feed he will see the floating pellets an he zooms out!! Its so cute.

I have one and he's around 5"so the 3"max is alittle off but agree with the rest

If it is truly a Tatia perugiae then that would be the largest one I've ever heard of. They typically don't even reach 3" in captivity.

Honeycombcat.jpg
This fish ^^ the Tatua/Tatia perugiae aka honeycomb/driftwood/oil catfish grows to a max of 3" in captivity, usually closer to 2", or so says every source I've seen prior to this conversation.

siva said:
If it is truly a Tatia perugiae then that would be the largest one I've ever heard of. They typically don't even reach 3" in captivity.

Will they be okay on pellet food? I use spectrum pellets. That's the brand.

Back
Top Bottom