Hooking up RO/DI??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Benamayer said:
So BRS has a system that removed chloramines, and says the other RO units do not remove chloramines from the water... But do the RO/DI units remove chloramines, or should I need to add some chlorine remover to the RODI water that is produced?

Certain units are made specifically for waters with chloramines. Call your water dept and ask if they treat with them or not.

So if I do get the chloramines unit, does this take away from the effectiveness of the RO or DI part? Will is still get the TDS to "0"??

RO/DI units remove chlorine, and unless there are high levels of chloramine, will remove it as well. I never had issues with chloramines with my ro/di unit.

Chlorine yes. The chloramine units have finer filter causing them to need to be changed a lil more frequently

Well if the local water department uses chloramines, i should get the unit specifically to remove these yes? There is a difference between chlorine and chloramines...

mfdrookie516 said:
RO/DI units remove chlorine, and unless there are high levels of chloramine, will remove it as well. I never had issues with chloramines with my ro/di unit.

I think only 10% of the united states has cloramines in their water so just call down and see if your the 10%.. if not don't bother with it

Benamayer said:
Well if the local water department uses chloramines, i should get the unit specifically to remove these yes? There is a difference between chlorine and chloramines...

Yes you will want the chloramine unit if they told you they use it to treat water

Yes, big difference. Chloramine is chlorine and ammonia bound together. I've read that higher concentrations of chloramine can burn the membrane, but like I said, I never had any issues.

And, I'd be very inclined to believe that far more than 10% of the US uses chloramine. Almost every water municipality that I'm aware of in Ky uses chloramine.

Mrc8858 said:
Yes you will want the chloramine unit if they told you they use it to treat water

That's what im gonna do thanks Mrc!

mfdrookie516 said:
Yes, big difference. Chloramine is chlorine and ammonia bound together. I've read that higher concentrations of chloramine can burn the membrane, but like I said, I never had any issues.

And, I'd be very inclined to believe that far more than 10% of the US uses chloramine. Almost every water municipality that I'm aware of in Ky uses chloramine.

Are you using the chloramines RODI unit or a regular RODI unit?

mfdrookie516 said:

Maybe but that's bulk reefs supplies estimates and my water company does not use chloramine so I don't know exact numbers.

Are you using the chloramines RODI unit or a regular RODI unit?
I used a vertex puratek. IMO, the chloramines unit is just a gimmick to sell a higher priced unit. For about $30, IIRC, you can add another carbon block to your unit and move the sediment filter off the housing, doing pretty much exactly what they do for the much higher priced chloramines specific unit.

FWIW, nobody in the local club here used/uses a chloramines specific unit, and Lexington has a pretty high concentration compared to other places.

Thanks! I called the DPW... They use chlorine not chloramines anyways. Gonna order the unit today.

What do you need for water pressure and can a sink faucet produce this amount without a booster?

Benamayer said:
What do you need for water pressure and can a sink faucet produce this amount without a booster?

I'm not 100% but I think 60-65 psi is the minimum before it starts to effect the longevity of the membrane. Most faucets can produce this no problem but that's why its nice to order a pressure gauge.

MRC- $175 for a 5 stage with pressure gauge and inline TDS meter, shipped for free, had a $5 coupon as well! ... Love group buys :cool:

Benamayer said:
MRC- $175 for a 5 stage with pressure gauge and inline TDS meter, shipped for free, had a $5 coupon as well! ... Love group buys :cool:

Ya that's the exact same deal I tried to get but during 2 seperate group buys they sold out so I said screw it and got the 4 stage lol ... Maybe one day ill order my 5th stage .6 micron carbon block canister to finally have my 5 stage Ro/Di that I've wanted haha

Mrc8858 said:
I'm not 100% but I think 60-65 psi is the minimum before it starts to effect the longevity of the membrane. Most faucets can produce this no problem but that's why its nice to order a pressure gauge.

Wait, so does it effect it negatively with higher or
Lower pressure? Because a booster raises the pressure correct?

Benamayer said:
Wait, so does it effect it negatively with higher or
Lower pressure? Because a booster raises the pressure correct?

To low of pressure will shorten the lifespan. The higher the pressure the better to a certain extent but if your pressure is to high then you can add a second membrane and produce twice as much purified water with half the waste water ( that's what the 150gpd upgrade is)

Back
Top Bottom