Horror LFS story dealing with my Africans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I fell victim for the LAST time to a LFS! Not even a LFS a well known warehouse in my area, website claiming that expert staff, free advice WE KNOW IT ALL AND DO IT ALL!! Blah... Blah... Blah...

Anyway. I'm in the area and the wife and I decided to stop in this fine establishment filled with experts and professionals on salt and fresh water aquariums among other things. We go in and I tell my wife were not buying anything just looking. Well I get in and they have beautiful fish both salt and fresh water. It was pretty amazing to look at all the fish,reptiles and spiders.

We head over to the fresh section and were looking at all the Cichlids and in a tank of juvenile peacocks are these little green,yellow and kinda blueish "puffer fish" little round guys with little fins going a mile a minute, well she loved this little "puffers" I asked one of the expert staff if that "puffer" fish can coexist with African cichlids he said of course!! Look there in with them now!! There great with them and hold there own, to just watch because the "puffer" may nip at the Africans. I then explained in great length the set up of my tank and showed pictures to this fish expert of all, he said oh yeah the fish will be just fine, it will find its place and live on.

I was hesitant so I wanted to talk a little more with him about this "puffer" he goes on to tell me it will eat just what I feed my Africans. So with that I figured the fish are all together and this is "the largest warehouse in the county with experts on site!!"

I go ahead and purchase this "puffer" and oh WOW!! Only 5 bucks! Yeah he took money off, he saw the fire chief SUV and said I'll give you a special price. Well I'm glad he did!!

I brought this fish home, acclimated it, I floated it, then little by little took there water out and added in some of my tank water. Floated it some more and well you get the point. I put the "puffer" in with my Africans and well.... Maybe, MAYBE.... 30 minutes later the "puffer" is dead!!! My guys were like a gang! They worked together and taunted and nipped at this "puffer" I went to go get the net and get ready to remove it when I noticed it was gone. It was hiding so I'm watching closely and here they come mostly just the orange and yellow ones but they were biting him and tearing it apart. I went in to get him but it was too late. Torn up gasping at the bottom of the tank. Even as I'm going to net him he is being mauled by my guys. They wanted NO part of this "puffer"

I called the store very angry and upset that I had to witness this an the manager told me that it was very strange because it would be the Africans that I would have to make sure weren't getting nipped at. I told him no way it was the other way around!! He proceeded to explain that it must be my fault, explaining maybe the way I keep them or the conditions there in is effecting there temperament.

Bottom line is this. I think it's very very sad that you go to these LFS or "giant warehouses with experts on site" and you can't even trust them!! I have one guy I trust and I called him and told him the story he couldn't believe that the guy would even think of selling me that fish for my tank after explaining my tank setup and showing pictures. He told me before I do anything to call him first or go to this site(I told him about this forum)

Its just sad that these people are the ones you go to and this is what happens. I wonder how many times things like this happen. I'm just outraged!! Is it my fault? Maybe it was. Maybe I should have read up on them before hand BUT I listened to the expert staff and felt confident that they knew what they were talking about!! Guess not!!!

Never again will I go there!! I'll refrain from using there name although I'd love too!!

That's it, that's my story...

Thanks for listening.

Just to know, where is this store located?
Also, I agree with you, we (buyers or fish keepers) need to do our own research before going to the store, it is part of being a responsible fish keeper.

But also I understand the "falling in love / impulse buying" with the puffer!! We all have been there before also.

ejaramillo01 said:
Just to know, where is this store located?
Also, I agree with you, we (buyers or fish keepers) need to do our own research before going to the store, it is part of being a responsible fish keeper.

But also I understand the "falling in love / impulse buying" with the puffer!! We all have been there before also.

I didn't want to name the place and I'm not sure if it's against the rules. If the administrators and MOD's are cool with it, I'd be more then happy to name the place. Or PM me. I'm in Westchester County New York and they claim to be the largest warehouse in the county.

Oh and forgot to mention that they have over 25 years experience!!

Lesson learned, never again... Research, understand what your buying then proceed.

Caveat emptor. Chalk it up to a lesson learned, we've all done it at one time or another. Anyone can be a self-proclaimed "expert" so the best thing to do is just research on your own and make an informed decision with the information that you find. Even a quick Google search from your smartphone is better than flying blind, if you're going to impulse buy. :)

severum mama said:
Caveat emptor. Chalk it up to a lesson learned, we've all done it at one time or another. Anyone can be a self-proclaimed "expert" so the best thing to do is just research on your own and make an informed decision with the information that you find. Even a quick Google search from your smartphone is better than flying blind, if you're going to impulse buy. :)

Very Very true! Why do I pay for this iPhone? And why am I member here? I could have asked here and googled!

I just feel bad for the fish, that's a horrible way to go an I feel bad for others that fall victim.

Man that sux. I also worry about your africans now. I assume they never killed a fish before, now they have expierence. I hope they dont develop a habit of it. Also dont forget the rules about adding new fish to african tanks. Change up the Deco and only add similar sized fish. It really ticks me off bacause puffers are brackish or salt water fish. That LFS really took advantage of you.

I had a LFS tell me that I could use labs to cycle a tank. He also suggested that I dont change the water duting the cycle. Its a good thing I didnt listen to him. I like to think of it as being made to breathe in and IDLH for us. Ammo burns thier gills. Imagine haveing to breath with your lungs burning all day long. Some people just dont care about fish, only money

Jmedic25 said:
Man that sux. I also worry about your africans now. I assume they never killed a fish before, now they have expierence. I hope they dont develop a habit of it. Also dont forget the rules about adding new fish to african tanks. Change up the Deco and only add similar sized fish. It really ticks me off bacause puffers are brackish or salt water fish. That LFS really took advantage of you.

Yeah they sure did!! I'm also worried about my fish! This is the first time. I hope they haven't gotten a taste of this and change on me. I'm so upset. I know it's not my guys fault, nature took over and they did what they had to do I guess to protect there environment. Well they did there job that's for sure. I hope I didn't upset the tank now.

Jmedic25 said:
I had a LFS tell me that I could use labs to cycle a tank. He also suggested that I dont change the water duting the cycle. Its a good thing I didnt listen to him. I like to think of it as being made to breathe in and IDLH for us. Ammo burns thier gills. Imagine haveing to breath with your lungs burning all day long. Some people just dont care about fish, only money

You said it. All about the money!

Unfortunately when it comes to money many (but not all) will sell you most fish and tell you they will be fine with your current stocking list.Its sad but very true :(

You think my fish will be ok? Or did they get a taste now? They were vicious! Never saw anything like it, then again I'm new to the hobby. It's like they teamed up! Some worked together to push him out of HO's hiding spot while others waited then attacked! It was team work for sure. They wanted him out in the open then rammed him and bit him. Pushed him all over the place!

Is your profile picture a puffer? Hahaha and ya those africans can be MEAN! I feel bad for that poor puffer..

I think they will be fine.That puffer had no place with mbuna's.It may have been in with juvie peacocks but Imo mbuna's are far more aggressive than peacocks.Sorry you had to learn that the hard way.
As stated above when adding new fish it's always better to add Imo at least 3 fish at a time.I find adding juvies makes them less of a threat to the already established fish.

garfy said:
I think they will be fine.That puffer had no place with mbuna's.It may have been in with juvie peacocks but Imo mbuna's are far more aggressive than peacocks.Sorry you had to learn that the hard way.
As stated above when adding new fish it's always better to add Imo at least 3 fish at a time.I find adding juvies makes them less of a threat to the already established fish.

That's good stuff to know. 3 fish and juvies. Being small, they won't get picked on? Yeah it was a rough lesson to learn but now I know. I just feel bad for the puffer and my guys. I hope they didn't get all stressed out! Hope there not mad at me. Maybe I'll give them a treat later. Maybe some bloodworms.

No not bloodworms.Its not good for their digestive system and can cause bloat.Try some frozen spirulina cubes they love them.Very occasionally I give mine frozen brineshrimp cubes as well.

garfy said:
No not bloodworms.Its not good for their digestive system and can cause bloat.Try some frozen spirulina cubes they love them.Very occasionally I give mine frozen brineshrimp cubes as well.

Does a LFS carry those spirulina cubes? And I won't do bloodworms.

My lfs stocks quite a variety of cubes.Just ask your man I'm sure he can help.
Just try to avoid bloodworms.Central and south American cichlids are ok with bloodworms just not African.

Back
Top Bottom