Houston Water Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drewlovesheidi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm getting back into the hobby down in Houston, TX. Wondering if anyone in the area has any specific suggestions for dealing with Houston tap water. What does it come out of the tap like? What fish and plants work best/easy with our water? What do you do to make it better for your tanks? Thanks.

If u go online to your water department they will tell u the percentages of all chemicals that come out of the tap. I have a 40 and use straight tap water and just add the dechlorinator per instructions and my fish are happy

I just read your post. Did you use an alternative water source or RO water? I live in N. Houston as well and am looking for a supplier for Reverse Osmosis water. I have saltwater fish. Thx!

For fw. Straight out of the tap is fine. It comes out 7.4ph, 30ppm Ca and 4ppm Mg where I'm at. Don't worry about it. You will not have a problem.

As for RO, getting your own RODI system will be easiest. I have one installed (that I rarely use now since I don't do low ph planted tanks anymore). Fish gallery(excellent, but pricey fw selection(terrible if you're looking for dry goods)) city pets(cheap corals, cheap dry goods), T and T Fish and reef (best sw store in houston, HANDS DOWN)

I will have to plan a day to go to T&T. I live in North Houston and I'm surprised there aren't more saltwater fish stores here. As far as RO units go, did you buy it online or local?

Oh boo! I just ordered one last night but it was a great deal from purewaterclub .com . Not sure of how long it will last but a few on the forum bought one and said it was good. I just moved from Dallas last year so finding places for SW fish hasn't been easy. Any places you know of that carry cheap base rock for SW Aquariums?

I run FW, but ultimate fish carry's some, aquarium world out 290 carry's it, and there is a place out 242 towards Porter, can't remember the name, it's on the north side of 242 about 5-7 miles from 45 has rock.

Back
Top Bottom