How can i get my retic ray to eat more than just brine shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raygator

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently purchased a reticulated stingray from my local fish store (lfs) and they had been feeding only brine shrimp. Since I've brought it home I noticed it will only eat fallen goldfish flake. I have tried feeding goldfish, rosies, and tuna but it won't eat them. Any suggestions?

Retics are very very picky eaters. Hopefully yours is still with us and you found a food it likes.
But if you are still having troubles try frozen blood worms or even better live blackworms. They love live black worms. Its like cst nip for rays.

One of the best ways to get them to change foods is to get them eating out of a bowl. You can use a sinking reptile feeding bowl, or even an actual dinner plate or shallow bowl. Start by feeding what it is willing to eat in the bowl. Once he associates the bowl with food (which won't take long) he will be much more likely to take anything that goes in the bowl.

Don't feed live. Stingrays are prone to getting and having parasites already, no need to increase the rick by offering feeder fish. Stick with frozen food. Blackworms are good short term, but the goal should be to get them on a better diet. The ones we got in at the shop took to New Life Spectrum within a week after taking food from the bowl.

To put food in the bowl I would use an undergravel filter riser tube (the 1" diameter clear tube). They will learn real fast that this tube coming in means food and will start coming over to it before the food even reaches the bottom.

Thanks for the tips but I already tried to give it ghost shrimp and it ate them i have a sinking reptile dish and will try it to see if it works

Everyone talks about the risk of parasites with live food but if you find a good supplier, like i have, of your live food then it should not be an issue.
Besides half the fun of rays is watching them pounce on their food.

Back
Top Bottom