How can i get rid of apstasia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hot vinegar sqirted directly into its mouth...try aphasia-x

You can use lemon juice or vinegar as home remedies. You can also use a lighter or small torch to burn them. I have used everything anyone has suggested fire and peppermint shrimp are my favorites.

I'm having an outbreak and I have great luck with my fish, but not copper band butterflies....... Would like to use an *** load of peppermints but I have a red flame hawkfish :( Love the hawk but that makes me very apprehensive of the peppermint approach. May just be an expensive meal for him over a few days

Don't count on peppermints. Heard much praise with them dealing with Aptasia. 3 peppermints later. Still have Aptasia and 3 worthless peppermints

It's kinda hard to burn them. Ever try getting a lighter to burn under water?

I got a peppermint shrimp when I had it. Only thing it sucesfully did was kill my cleaner shrimp. Apista x worked wonders and the shrimp went back to the lfs

a peppermint shrimp will not kill a cleaner shrimp. something else killed the cleaner. unless the LFS sold you a camelback shrimp as a peppermint.
they look similar and are quite nasty.
peppermint shrimp can keep the aptasia population down, but i don't see them going after the large ones.
for the aptasia, you can buy a container of kalkwasser from the LFS. you only need a little, but you can use the rest for it's intended purpose (maintaining calcium levels). anyway, you can mix a little of it into a thick paste, put it in a syringe (less the sharp tip) and squirt a glob of it in the mouth of the anemone. you'll want to turn off all flow while doing this so it doesn't blow around.

Last edited:
i've had my peppermint shrimp and cleaner for 6 months now and they have lived in total harmony, peppermints and cleaners are peaceful shrimp so peaceful that my cleaner shrimp actually likes to clean my hand when i place it in my tank while my peppermint just chills out under the rocks or in a cave until the lights go out

My peppermints live peacefully with a cleaner as well. But cleaners aren't as docile as everyone claims. Mine eats small nassarius snails on occasion. And no, they're not dead before he eats them. I need to buy a handful occasionally for him to snack on. I watch him sift thru sand and pull them up fm time to time. He's got a technique that is interesting to watch. And he does it when the Luna lights r on. I even have a pic but it's not a great 1. Had to use flash on my camera phone. This goes against everything I have ever heard or read

My peppermints live peacefully with a cleaner as well. But cleaners aren't as docile as everyone claims. Mine eats small nassarius snails on occasion. And no, they're not dead before he eats them. I need to buy a handful occasionally for him to snack on. I watch him sift thru sand and pull them up fm time to time. He's got a technique that is interesting to watch. And he does it when the Luna lights r on. I even have a pic but it's not a great 1. Had to use flash on my camera phone. This goes against everything I have ever heard or read

I don't know if you can do this by yourself or not but get a small led light and shine it in your tank and snap a picture it is amazing how well they turn out.

First I heard of a killing cleaner fish not totally surprised. I saw an anemone eat a clown it was hosting last week.

For the apstasia, is it on rock that can be removed? I had it once, I kept the rock outside for a month. After I put it back in I never saw the apstasia again.

I'm having an outbreak and I have great luck with my fish, but not copper band butterflies....... Would like to use an *** load of peppermints but I have a red flame hawkfish :( Love the hawk but that makes me very apprehensive of the peppermint approach. May just be an expensive meal for him over a few days

I have a flame and it has never bothered my peppermint shrimp. Hawk was the only survivor and was in tank for months after the mystery deaths. Added peppermints and have never had an issue. Doesn't even pay attention to them.

I just did a big cleaning and went to town w a
Syringe and lemon juice. Worked great!!!

Back
Top Bottom