How can i get these nitrates down!?!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a skimmer rated for a 220 and carbon and LR and doing a 25-30% pwc weekly and cleaning socks weekly and trates are at like 80!!!!!!!!! OR MORE!!!!!!!!! IDK how to get them down!!!! when i was doing hypo i did pwcs every day and a week later theyre at 80+!!! WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!

I'm a bit confused, are you doing Hyposalinity treatment on your tank right now? Also, carbon and LR doesn't help to keep nitrAte down. If you are indeed doing a hypo treatment, I've read that it would kill off your beneficial bacteria. That is why people dont usually do hypo instead their DT

Are you using nitrate free water (as in RO/DI) for top offs and water changes?
How heavy are you feeding? By the list of fish in your signature, you have some big fish and messy eaters.
You can clean the filter sock every few days by rinsing it thoroughly in the sink using tap water.

I am going to start rinsing socks every 2 days. They eat all of the food i put in the tank. Sadly I do not have a RODI unit, but I didnt think that would affect nitrates. Does it? I feed krill mysis and after krill is gone market shrimp. Oh and also seaweed.

Everything that goes in the fish also comes out. The more they eat, the more they...you know what ;)
If you use tap water that has nitrate it will add to the nitrate problem in your tank.
What brand skimmer do you have?

It might be the food causing the nitrates, usually with frozen food it needs to be rinsed to help keep nitrates down. I know rinsing mysis is difficult.

there is a guy that LA fish guys often goes with when he does tank servicing and he uses nothing but treated tap water on his reefs and has incredible results. he also services a tank that they like to call the rose anemone garden which has over 100 Rose bubble tip anemones, all split from one so, clearly tap water can be used and i wouldn't say thats the culprite of his high nitrates, i would look more towards the test kits, have you tried a different tester?

Test your tap water if thats what you are using. Tap water is very high in nitrates and phosphates. Invest in a RO/DI.

Back
Top Bottom