How can I lower my pH levels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Because, I'm planning on getting Blue Rams, and it says they need lower pH levels..?

Not really. they're found in waters with lower pH, but if you buy tank raised, especially locally, they're going to have been raised/kept in tanks with a pH similar to yours.

From 7.8ish to at least 7, 6.5...?
be sure ask what the pH is at the FS and the other water parameters along with it so you can match it as close as possible with your tank, it will help to reduce the stress on the fish.
Also be sure to test your tap water to find out what your base line water parameters are, you may find that a simple PWC will drop your pH. My tap water pH is only 6.8 and my Angels love it as is. But my Mbunas need a higher pH, 8.0 to 9.0 so if the pH drops I just add a little Seachems Alkaline Buffer and the pH slowly rises to 8.4. Which makes my Mbunas happiest.
Seachem has an Acid Buffer also but, it's very caustic making it potentially dangerous, even if you dilute the Acid Buffer it can still burn the sensitive eyes and the gills of your fish.
One last thing, don't ever make big changes in your tank you'll freak your fish out bad.

As said above 7.8 is fine, there are many natural ways to lower PH if your really that determined. Firstly add Bog/Drift wood and/or add some sort of "pete" either under substrate or in filter media baskets

If you really want to lower your PH which I don't think you need to do, you can add a piece of driftwood in there.

DW will work if you don't soak the tannins out first to avoid tea water, but at some point the leaching will stop and the pH will rise. Peat in a mesh bag is a good option since it's easy to swap out, but it'll cause tea water too.

I've done a lot of testing with different way to lower pH, keep it stable and it's a tough nut to crack. Acid buffer will break the buffers, but you have to stabilize it or you're in for lots of trouble. Luckily I did my testing with it outside my DT, because the pH swings would have killed my fish. I'd suggest you leave it be, 7.8 is perfectly acceptable IMO/E.

Back
Top Bottom