How do I clean this tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MINIMAL

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I just bought a SeaClear 125g Flat Back Hex Acrylic Aquarium that was previously used in a reef setup. I know as much about saltwater as Hillary Clinton does about securing emails. With that being said I need to know the safest, fastest, cheapest, and best way to remove the white colored buildup on this thing. I will be using the tank for a planted freshwater with discus. I need to get it cleaned quick so I can get the cycle started. Any help is apperciated. Along with what not to use as well. Orignally posted in the SW forum, but didn't get a single response. Thanks!

Congrats on the new (for you) tank!
I would use vinegar and a soft paper towel to remove the hard water / salt scale. Plus lots of rinsing.
Since it is acrylic I would use care so that you don't scratch it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would also use vinegar, but on my Sea Clear acrylic tank I use micro fibre towels.

I have microfiber, just wanted to be sure that normal white vinegar wouldn't damage the tank. Thanks!

Also I need to get out some scratches. Can't find a local retailer for the novus plastic polish. Does anybody know of other brands or products that will work? I want to get this thing polished and good to go so I can fill it up and get cycling.

I saw somebody claims they used meguiars plastX for cars. Anybody else have expirence with it? I know I would have to flush the tank a few times after use, but I will have to do that either way. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I filled it to check for leaks. There is a leak at the bottom between the swimming area and internal sump, so it won't be hard to fix.

I have the entire outside sanded and the first pass of polishing. Now starting on the inside.

Post up some pics of that bad boy when you have time.

Have about 8 hours in it so far. Pics won't upload for some reason on mobile. I have it completely sanded all the way up to 2000 grit. Novus 3, 2, and 1 tomorrow to finish it up if I can find a buffer for a resonable price. Hate to drop $70 on something I will use once lol.

I would love to find a sweet deal on a 100+ gallon tank.

Found this, which also had a oddysea t5ho light, 2 brand new pumps, a 10 outlet timer power strip, 2 heaters, a 5 gallon bucket of new bio balls, and the stand for $125. I was waiting for Ashton Kutcher to pop out when I went to pick it up.

First two pics are the before photos. Last two are the finished product.

Attachments

• arcb1.jpg
    arcb1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 55
  • arcb2.jpg
    arcb2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 51
  • arc1.jpg
    arc1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 55
  • arc2.jpg
    arc2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 57
Holy cow you did a fine job! I can't even tell it's the same tank! Now I would have seen that and been like "nope, not happening" but you saw the hidden potential and put a lot of work in. So how many hours total did this project take would you estimate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Holy cow you did a fine job! I can't even tell it's the same tank! Now I would have seen that and been like "nope, not happening" but you saw the hidden potential and put a lot of work in. So how many hours total did this project take would you estimate?

Thanks!

I spent about 6 hours total wet sanding, 1 hour of spraying with a waterhose before I started and after I finished polishing, and about 3 hours of the polishing/buffing. So 9-10 hours to revive a 125g tank isn't bad.

Here are the step of how I did it.

Sprayed out tank for about 30 mins to get out everything I possibly could.
Let dry overnight.
Wet sanded inside and out with dawn dish soap and water mix, spraying every few seconds.
Started with 800 grit horizontally, roughly 10 passes in each area.
Sprayed off debris and wiped clean.
Then moved to 1000 grit vertically, 10 passes in each area.
Moved to 2000 grit horizontally, 10 passes in each area.
Novus 2 vertically using Mother’s Powerball Mini using side of ball at half speed, replaced Novus 2 every time it started to appear to be getting thinner.
Then started over at the original starting spot, using the tip of the ball to make circular swirls with the Novus 2 over the existing coat, at full speed.
Cleaned the Powerball and dried it out. Then buffed it out with the Powerball going horizontally with the side of the ball. Continued until all residues were removed.
Applied a light coat of Novus 1 and rubbed in using a clean microfiber towel.
Sprayed off the entire tank again to remove the greasy/hazy look from the Novus 1 residue.
Dried with a clean microfiber towel and was done.

+1! I didn't even know you could sand acrylic. Nicely done, the tank looks brand new!

Back
Top Bottom