How do we keep our tank clean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigtrees

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I really like clean tanks. No algae growth on the gravel at the bottom. No algae on the glass. Clear water.

What are the most important things to do to keep our water clean so the tank looks pretty? I'm curious about specifics (not just "frequent cleaning" but HOW do you clean)?

We are purchasing today a 75 gallon aquarium with a Aquatop CF-500UV canister filter. I'm hoping that having a quality filter like I believe this one to be will help us enjoy a fish tank with clean water.

Im not sure that the zero algae growth is really possible or a good idea. If you have water and light you will get some algae. What you are looking for is a balance between the amount of light you want in the tank and the amount of algae you are prepared to live with or manually clean up.

Keeping some fish or invertebrates that eat algae will help to reduce the amount of algae for you to clean up yourself, but zero algae isnt really going to happen. Plants will also take up nutrients that algae needs and further help to control it. But, plants need light, so thats where the balance act comes in again. Regular water changes will also control these nutrients and keep algae down.

Clean water. A good filter, filter media that allows good flow of water through, not overstocking, and good aeration will help with keeping water clear. Carbon will remove impurities like tannins if you put driftwood in your aquascape. Note that most new tanks go through a stage where bacteria grow out of control in the water and make the water cloudy in whats called a biological bloom. This is perfectly normal, happens to almost every new tank and typically goes away on its own.

I personally don't care for a "sterile" tank nor it is needed but I understand why many people like a super clean tank. I think regular water changes will keep it clean enough, adding charcoal (which I don't use) will make your water crystal clear. Siphoning the gravel is another way to keep the tank clean and using a sponge to clean the front of the tank.

I don't know that fully removing algae would be beneficial to your tank, but I purchased an internal UV system and placed it in my tank and it has reduced the nasty green look to my water tremendously and I highly recommend.

Back
Top Bottom