How do I fix this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently installed a canister filter on my 55 gallon tank. I noticed that the water isn't as clear as when I had my hob filter. My canister has two baskets. The bottom has a coarse sponge and filter floss. The top has my bio rings. The water tests perfect so no problems there. Is there something I can add to my baskets to help clear up the water. Should I put more floss in. I heard you should stuff as much as you can in the basket...

What kind of canister did you get? Is the canister pushing out air bubbles, maybe? Sometimes they can do that when first set up if air got into the tubing or the canister. You can try gently tilting the canister from side to side to release any air pockets that might have gotten in there. Does it make a noise? I usually put the filter floss on top but maybe it doesn't make too much of a difference either way.

It's a cascade 700. Filter is very quiet..no air bubbles...I seeded the bio rings with my hob media for about two weeks. The cloudiness isn't terrible but it is not quite as clear as before...I heard polishing pads are a little finer than floss so I was thinking about trying to also put one of those in there above the floss

One thing that it could be is a slight bacterial bloom caused from adding all the new bio-material. It's not uncommon and I actually had that happen when I added new bio-media to one of my canisters awhile back even tho other canisters already had established bio-media in them. One way to help tell if it's a bacterial bloom is after you do a WC does the water go back to being slightly cloudy? If so that is usually a bacterial bloom.

Polishing pads do work great but when using them watch your filter as polishing pads tend to fill up fast causing your filter to slow down due to blockage. As for filter floss I put it in my baskets, run it under the faucet and push it down to compact it, then add more if needed. That way I know my baskets are packed well with it.

I don't think I put enough floss in the basket. As for the polishing pads, I heard you can use a piece of felt. Works just as good and way cheaper. I'm doing my weekly wc this weekend. I will see if the water stays clear or goes back to cloudy.

Back
Top Bottom