How do I get rid of this algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That looks like Cyanobacteria. I used chemiclean to kill it. Some people recommend cutting back on feeding, shorter light period, and water changes to lower nutrients. That didn't work for me. The chemiclean killed it in 2 days

There are some Fish and inverts that will eat cyano but you have so much that your best bet is to dose your tank with a red slime remover. Just follow the instructions and everything will clear. A difeinite water change of 25% will be needed after all of the cyano is gone.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392832340.513300.jpg

Products will remove the cyano, but it will either return or come back in another form of algae. Cyano and algae issues are an indicator of parameter issues in the water column. This is where things should be addressed.

It could be a lot of things that can be the issue but for right now I think dosing your tank is the best bet. It could be that the lights are on for too long, over feeding, high phosphate levels.... I suggest dose ur tank, do a water change of 25%, cut back a couple of hours on your lighting, and if you feed ur tank 3 times a day bring it to once a day. At one point I would feed only every other day. Also do yourself a favor and get some cheato (aka spaghetti algae)

Back
Top Bottom