How do I treat ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My fish has little white spots on him and he seems lethargic and the little white spots are also at the top of my water. I had 2 other fish that had white spots on them, but they died. How do I treat ich on my fish and how do I get rid of from my water?

I've always had the best results using nothing but a heat treatment. Assuming your livestock can handle it anyway. I slowly crank up the heat over the course of a few days to about 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Then leave it there for about 10 days after the last white spot is visible on a fish. Then slowly bring the temp back down to where it was before.

Heat speeds up the life cycle of the ich and also makes it harder to attach/find a host. Without a host it dies.

I've always had the best results using nothing but a heat treatment. Assuming your livestock can handle it anyway. I slowly crank up the heat over the course of a few days to about 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Then leave it there for about 10 days after the last white spot is visible on a fish. Then slowly bring the temp back down to where it was before.

Heat speeds up the life cycle of the ich and also makes it harder to attach/find a host. Without a host it dies.

This ^^^
But only if your fish can stand warmer water

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've had success as well with the heat method, and would definitely use it again.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon shrimp and snail tank

Back
Top Bottom