how do you get rid of planaria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 1gal tank dedicated to raising snails (turtle snacks) and recently noticed tiny white worms. After a bit of panicking and researching, discovered that they are most likely planaria. Figure there's a good chance that over-feeding is to blame as I usually put a bit of algae wafer or chunk of cucumber in there for them once or twice a week. But, since it is a snail tank, can't go with the usual feeding guidelines like with fish (at least my snails don't come up to get fed). Any recommendations on how I can get rid of the little planaria and hopefully keep them from coming back?

fish will eat them... any chance you could stick a couple fish in the tank for a few days? in a snail tank like that, since you basically have to overfeed, i dont think you'll have much of a way to prevent it

Thanks. Kinda what I figured in terms of feeding. They seem to clear up a bit when I put veggies in there but not fully gone. Don't have any fish that I dislike enough to put in there, but could be a good time to get a few more guppies. Some sites say that aquarium salt can help get rid of the plenaria, any thoughts?

Since they get worse when I put algae wafers in there, I'd believe it. Probably stick with cucumber or zucchini from now on and invest in a few guppies. May try salt if the guppies don't help. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom