How do you handle your water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lomeli562

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im sure this is an over done topic but im wondering what can be done to be more time efficient, less stressful for the fish, or even more enjoyable any opinion is appreciated!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Water Changes

Im sure this is an over done topic but im wondering what can be done to be more time efficient, less stressful for the fish, or even more enjoyable any opinion is appreciated!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello lom...

Water changes aren't stressful for fish. The fish I have enjoy the flush of pure water. I make the new water a bit warmer than what's already in the tank. I change a least half the water in my planted tanks every week or two on the weekends. It's a matter of setting aside the time and making it a routine.

I use the old bucket method, so it's not especially enjoyable, but watching the fish swim in and out of the fresh water is enough to get me to stick to the routine.

B

I change 50% each week! I have a long hose that I siphon the water out with, into my garden. My husband got a new bilge pump, so I use that to pump the water back in from large buckets, I also have it a little warmer. I have a 220ltr and a 140 lltr, and in the process of setting up a 6ft tank (I've got it bad lol) I've made it as easy as I can. I like doing water changes and sometimes do it 2 x weekly, the fish and plants love clean water, if they don't get sick, then we are all happy.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've got a hose that hooks up to my kitchen sink. I actually try for a degree or two cooler. I think Rivercats posted that this can simulate rainfall and encourage spawning.
My fish aren't super happy with me during the actual PWC, but they do seem more active and colorful once I'm done and the giant hose is out of their house.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom