how do you ship Parrot fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pisces44

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I am moving to Florida from New Jersey in August and need to transport 6 medium sized parrot fish who I have had in a 72 gallon tank for one year. I will be driving 3 hours to the Auto train in Virginia and then the car and I will be on the train for 17 hours and then there will be a 3 hours drive from Sanford, Florida to Jupiter, Florida. I was wondering if I should ship the fish via Fed Ex or UPS. The only problem is I mayl not be in Florida exactly at the time of delivery. I was wondering if I put all 6 fish in a small carry take and left them for approximately 2 days in the small carry tank in my car on the train if they would be ok . I willl be able to check on them after the 17 hour train ride. I really am afraid of losing these fish. Any advise would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Tell me more about this cooler shipping

Thank you for your response. Can you shut the cooler or does it have to have a hole in it? What size air pump etc. Please let me know. Sorry for all the questions. Appreciate your help.

Pisces44 said:
Thank you for your response. Can you shut the cooler or does it have to have a hole in it? What size air pump etc. Please let me know. Sorry for all the questions. Appreciate your help.

Here's what I did to help my buddy move his fish. We got a big cooler drilled holes in the top for the tubing for the airlines with airs tones on the end then sealed either side with a dab of silicone, if I remember we did 2 air stones and a sponge filter. Sponge filter maybe over kill but he had one laying around. We got in inverter to run 2 good sized air pumps and then added tank water and fish and duct taped it shut.

You will have to go the battery powered route because you car won't be running and I will kill your battery.

Another thing that you could consider is any LFS in the area that is capable of shipping fish and conversely one in FL that can receive them. Some LFS will do this for a fee. But if you end up having to use a cooler then Mogurako's advice sounds good.

Help! Does anyone want to buy 4 Big beautiful Parrot Fish

Hi,

Is there anyone in the Central New Jersey Area , that would like to buy 4 large Beautiful Health Parrot Fish. I originally was going to try to take them from NJ to Florida. will be on auto train for 17 hours. Moving truck with my 72 gallon tank will not be in when I get there. REally worried about loosing fish. Tried to get Battery operated air pumps with no luck. LFS promised to get air pumps and never did and will not help deliver fish or buy fish. So messed up. Please email here or call me on Cell 609-915-4825. I bought them for $30 bucks a piece when they were small 6 months ago. Will sell them for $20 bucks each or best offer. Need to leave this Friday evening 8/12.

Marla

If you don't have any luck trying to sell them on a forum, you can try listing them on Craig's List. I see lots of people selling fish/equipment on there. Also, you can ask your lfs if they'd like to purchase them. Sometimes they won't purchase, but will offer store credit. Sometimes, like with fry, they'll just take them off your hands.

If you still have no luck, do what I do. Pay it forward and give them away on freecycle.org. (y)

Get some Kordon Breather bags, bag them and move them. They can stay in the bags for days, until your tank is set up.

Back
Top Bottom