How do you tell if a mystery snail is alive or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talon242

Aquarium Advice Freak
My snail kind of was stuck in an intake and I'm not sure if she is still alive. I should have though about that happening. Usually she is a smaller tank and she laid eggs so I moved her so she wouldn't knock them off. :(

In my experience the best way to tell if a snail is dead is by smell. If it is really dead it will stink to high heaven!! So pull it out and take a whiff if the stank knocks you unconscious then you can be sure she passed on to wider waters. :p

Well I smelled and theres nothing. So I put her back in the tank and I was her move I hope she is okay or gets better.

Watch for little wiggly antennae. When my mystery snail arrived in the mail, I thought for SURE it was dead. Next day, though, it had ambled across the tank. Only thing that kept me from pitching it that night was that the antennae would occasionally peek out of the shell.

Another way you can tell if they are dead is by checking the trap door. If it's pulled tight closed, they are alive. If they are dead, the door will be open a bit. But, if it is open a bit, try touching it also just to be sure. If they are alive, they will pull the door shut. Snails will go dormant for a few days at a time so being inactive isn't always an indication of health.

one time my black one was open a bit... actually a few days ago... AND floating.. I smelled it and no smell (bleive me it stinks, i've had a dead one before) and i touched the foot and it didn't move... well i dropped him back in and the next day he was crawling around.. weird but he must've been sleeping LMAO (just kiddin of course)

Well she must have been really injured becuase she passed away :( It looked like she moved a little bit over night but then that was it. I just finished about 1/2 tank water change I may have to do another tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom