How high to hang MH lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How big is the tank? If its anything less than like...40g, pretty high up off the tank or you'll fry it lol. Otherwise maybe 6-8 inches or so is plenty.

New tank with new lights or are you replacing some other light.
If it's all new then anywhere from 6" - 10" should be good.

If you are replacing another lower powered light you need to start with it higher and lower a bit each week till you get it where you want it. Or, you could use a few layers of screen door material to block the light and pull one layer off each week.

It's an old set up, the lights are at about 12 inches above water now. Works ok for mushroomes but I want to get into sps corals among others and I am not sure I have enough intensity. Obviously I could lower the lights.

Thank you Wayne

250w MH bulbs at 12" over a 75g tank is plenty of light for any coral. If you are having problems with corals, it's not because of the lighting.

I have 175w MH's 12" over a 125 and can grow any coral.

No coral problems right now I just have a few mushrooms, but I am looking to get into coral. Thank you for all your experience guys please keep it comming. I read my last post and the sentence "obviously I can lower the lights." sounded to me to come off a little snobby but that was not my intent. What I ment to say was it would be easy enough to lower my lights if you guys think I need it. Sorry

talk to you later Wayne

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom