How long can my Dwarf Puffers live without feeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
Going on vacation in June for 2 weeks and was wondering if my dwarf puffers can survive without eating?

On my other (community) tank I'm going to use my Eheim autofeeder which works great. I've used it in the past for a month long vacation and all my fish survived, albeit I had to do some major water changes. I had it on the lowest setting btw.

My newly acquired Puffers are another story. They'll only eat frozen bloodworms, so for obvious reasons an autofeeder wouldnt work. I also have no friends or neighbors in the area I can trust to feed them. Dont know what to do. I was thinking of adding some snails or something but the little tadpole pond snails get eaten up fast and the malaysian trumpets bury themselves in the sand and don't resurface. Anyone have any similar experience and a solution? Otherwise I'm just gonna have to go and keep my fingers crossed that they'll survive..

Get an in-tank breeder tank. Hang it inside your tank and make the escape hard. Then fill it up with lots of snails. The snails will slowly escape 1 by 1. You might have water pollution when you get back. Do ad close to a 100% water change before and after your trip.

Btw not sure it this will work or not. Just an idea.

That's a great idea! I have one of those Lee's guppy floating breeders though.. You think that would work somehow?

ForumRunner_20120525_185028.jpg

Give it a try. I think it might work. Experiment for a few days to see if snails can find a way out.

Back
Top Bottom