How long do they stay a baby.....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e burna

Aquarium Advice Activist
My platy gave birth probably about a month ago now. The fry don't seem to be growing all that fast. Any idea how long before they start to put on some size?

6-8 weeks you shoud notice a difference -

by the way, fry should be fed small amounts at least 3 times a daily for them to grow.

crushed flakes worked great for my platies. live brine shrimp also.

joedarat said:
6-8 weeks you shoud notice a difference -

by the way, fry should be fed small amounts at least 3 times a daily for them to grow.

crushed flakes worked great for my platies. live brine shrimp also.

Add to that...lots of water changes....frequent feedings and 30% water changes every second day will have your fry growing like they should...very quickly.

I've been changing water a few times a week, and just dropping in a brine shrimp pellet every once in awhile for them to eat when they feel like it.

Boy, I went away for a week when my fry were 3 weeks old, and when I cam back I didn't recognize them! It took about 6 to 7 weeks to get them big enough so that my adolescent (2 inch) angels wouldn't eat them. I also fed 3 or 4 times a day, heavy on the frozen baby brine shrimp in the first 3 weeks, then mostly finely crushed flakes therafter. I also did 10% water changes almost daily.

I highly recomend a pinch of the frozen baby brine shrimp three times a day till they are big enough to devour finely crushed flakes. The BBS stay suspended in the water a while so they can eat for a while. A pinch in a shot glass, dislove in water, swirl it and dump in the tank.

I've also heard situations where fry grow slower depending on water movement and how much energy they have expend avoiding high currents and even danger from other fish. Basically, the less energy they have to expend, the quicker they tend to grow.

Back
Top Bottom