how long does it take for a SPS to grow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am just currious how long it will take for my one-headed candycane frag to "kick off" and start getting more heads on it?

Candy cane corals are LPS. Growth of LPS coral depends on many things, most importantly lighting and good/stable water chemistry. Along with maintaining proper CA/Alk, keeping PO4 low is also important. High PO4 levels can inhibit, and even stop calcification. Doubling or tripling in size in about 9-12 months would be normal for a candy cane IME.

I was just thinking about that the other day. How exactly do candy canes grow more heads. I bought a batch of about 8 heads a couple of months ago and yes some do appear larger, but their is def no sign of new heads growing. Do the heads grow off the branch of anothe head or how exactly does that occur?

It's funny, I never notice growth with my CC coral unless I compare old pictures to it. Maybe I just pay more attention to other corals in my tank, I'm not sure exactly.

sorry I meant LPS...I have had a LONNGGGG week (and its only wendsday LOL) but thanks for clearing that up for me!

Learn something everyday blazey. I know I do. I have heard that on your LPS corals that they will grow little buds that are on the branches or skelaton if not branching. I definitely have seen it on other LPS corals dont know for sure if it happens on candy cane corals.

Candy Cane coral split....Mine are in the process of doing it now. A second mouth develops and the polyp slowly begins to divide into two.....It is an interesting albeit slow process...

Candy Cane coral split....Mine are in the process of doing it now. A second mouth develops and the polyp slowly begins to divide into two.....It is an interesting albeit slow process...
Correct. It is pretty cool to watch. Every animal is different. As emntioned, ensure proper CA/ALK balance, low PO4, pristine water conditions and proper feeding for best results.

Back
Top Bottom