How long for bottom feeders?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SNewlin06

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just launched my first real tank - 46gallon bow tank with 2inch deep sand substrate, Fluval 404 filter with all new media. Set tank up earlier this week and ran the water with a mechanical only filter for a couple days, dechlorinated the water with an API product.

Put 6 fancy guppies in as the first fish in the tank last night to help start the cycle. 12 hours in all seem pretty happy.

i have 4 Electric Green Tetras and 1 Powder Blue Gourami waiting in my 10G to go in this one, but I feel like I should wait till the tank cycles before I move them, but I'm not sure about that. In a tank this size I'm dont know if the guppies will provide enough ammonia to start a cycle.

With the sand bottom though, I'd like to get some Juli Cory's going to help keep the bottom clean and keep the sand stirred a little. Should I wait till the tank has cycled for them?

Just launched my first real tank - 46gallon bow tank with 2inch deep sand substrate, Fluval 404 filter with all new media. Set tank up earlier this week and ran the water with a mechanical only filter for a couple days, dechlorinated the water with an API product.

Put 6 fancy guppies in as the first fish in the tank last night to help start the cycle. 12 hours in all seem pretty happy.

i have 4 Electric Green Tetras and 1 Powder Blue Gourami waiting in my 10G to go in this one, but I feel like I should wait till the tank cycles before I move them, but I'm not sure about that. In a tank this size I'm dont know if the guppies will provide enough ammonia to start a cycle.

With the sand bottom though, I'd like to get some Juli Cory's going to help keep the bottom clean and keep the sand stirred a little. Should I wait till the tank has cycled for them?

Generally you want 1 fish per 10 gallons with a fish in cycle, so the 6 guppies plus food that isn't eaten will do just fine. Do you have a test kit? A fish in cycle requires water changes every day/every other day possibly even daily to keep levels in the safe zone for fish.

Yes I'd wait. If you're moving fish from another tank though and that tank is cycled and has a filter you can just run the 10 gal filter on the new tank or move the media from the 10 gal's filter to the new filter. This should instantly cycle it for the fish in the 10 gal at least. You might see some temporary spikes due to the additional fish (guppies) but at least some seeded media would be there.
Here's a link for you: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
and
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

I thought a lot about doing that - I have a Fluval HOB hanging on my 10g tank, I could easily go plug it in on my big tank for a few days. But I've had such trouble with my 10g tank this year I'm nervous about ANYTHING that's been in that tank going in my new/big/expensive one.

Heartbroken this morning. My 5 surviving fish that were in my 10g tank waiting for the new/big tank to cycle all died this morning. I don't get it. I did a gravel vac water change yesterday to maybe 20% of the volume. Fed the fish before going to bed last night and all seemed well. Water had been a bit cloudy the last couple days but nothing really out of whack water quality wise. Water this morning clear as a bell but all the fish dead. I refilled the tank after gravel vac ing wi my normal jug, and had added prime to that water before putting in the tank. I'm very upset, these guys were the survivors of all my early mistakes with my first tank and I was looking forward to getting them in my new 46g.

Use tetras to cycle your tank there really good starters and are very harty

Back
Top Bottom