How Long Till Birth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhillieSniper115

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi my swordtail is pregers and i just noticed today 5/26/11 that the fry have hatched inside her and u can see 3-4 just by her gravid spot alone. They have black eyes. When can I expect fry? I just put her in a breeder box so my platy doesn't hunt them down. Councedently she is also pregnant but not as fat and has a noticeable gravid spot. How long? Thanx

Hi my swordtail is pregers and i just noticed today 5/26/11 that the fry have hatched inside her and u can see 3-4 just by her gravid spot alone. They have black eyes. When can I expect fry? I just put her in a breeder box so my platy doesn't hunt them down. Councedently she is also pregnant but not as fat and has a noticeable gravid spot. How long? Thanx

If you can already see the frys eyes inside her it wont be too much longer. Watch for her to square off on the bottom, most fish will do this prior to delivery.... usually no more than 3 days. Watch her in the breeder box, this often stresses out momma and she could hold them in or even possibly abort the fry. :fish1:

Tasha said:
If you can already see the frys eyes inside her it wont be too much longer. Watch for her to square off on the bottom, most fish will do this prior to delivery.... usually no more than 3 days. Watch her in the breeder box, this often stresses out momma and she could hold them in or even possibly abort the fry. :fish1:

What exactly do u mean by squar off also I know what causes the stress in a breeder box and have fixed the problem

when you look at the pregnant fish from the side instead of being round they'll be more flat on the bottom like this \__/

Tasha said:
when you look at the pregnant fish from the side instead of being round they'll be more flat on the bottom like this \__/

Oh I thought u ment w the gravid spot! Shes almost like that.

some fish will NOT give birth in those things.. she may just hold them in or abort them.

If she hasn't birthed soon, maybe you should just let her out. That's a long time for her to be in there IMO. Good luck and all goes well.

Deckape said:
If she hasn't birthed soon, maybe you should just let her out. That's a long time for her to be in there IMO. Good luck and all goes well.

But then the fry will die

Maybe not all of them if they have adequate hiding spots

jetajockey said:
Another option is to use a tank divider and keep the expectant mother on one side and then just move her after she drops.

I just did that. I put her in a tank w an injured female fancy guppy. It's a 2.5 gal and I divided it and put them in the side w the filter and heater. The guppy can get from one side to the other but the swordtail can't. I'm hopping she gives birth soon then I can put the babies into a smaller holding net. And i did put alot of plants in the same side as the swordtail just incase

GhillieSniper115 said:
I just did that. I put her in a tank w an injured female fancy guppy. It's a 2.5 gal and I divided it and put them in the side w the filter and heater. The guppy can get from one side to the other but the swordtail can't. I'm hopping she gives birth soon then I can put the babies into a smaller holding net. And i did put alot of plants in the same side as the swordtail just incase

Great. I am glad another option was found. I am getting swords next week. Thanks for the education.

Deckape said:
Great. I am glad another option was found. I am getting swords next week. Thanks for the education.

Yes she's fine she should give birth today. If u need any help w the swords ask me they're a beautiful fish and I am still deciding wether or not to breed them or fancy guppies.

GhillieSniper115 said:
Yes she's fine she should give birth today. If u need any help w the swords ask me they're a beautiful fish and I am still deciding wether or not to breed them or fancy guppies.

Will do. Thanks I am sure I will!

GhillieSniper115 said:
She still didn't give birth. But she got fatter...

I have 7 female red velvets now. Getting 2 males and one female from Severum Mama and HN1 delivered today. Those 3 are close to being Montezumas. You inspired me! Thanks and stand by to help if you can with my questions.

Does the filter have a sponge attachment or is it a strainer? If it is a strainer, the fry are small enough to get sucked up into the filter.

Back
Top Bottom