How long until first ammonia spike?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mgx42

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just started a fish-in cycle with 4 danios yesterday. They've been in a little over 24 hours with no ammonia readings thus far. I have one nubius nana plant in there and my temp. is 78 degrees. When can I expect to see the ammonia rise?

20 gallon tank
PH: 7.5
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: < 5

Last edited:
What size tank? What type of danio? If it's a smaller tank ammonia should rise fairly quickly, if it's larger it might take longer anywhere from a couple of days to a week, depending on tank size.

What size tank? What type of danio? If it's a smaller tank ammonia should rise fairly quickly, if it's larger it might take longer anywhere from a couple of days to a week, depending on tank size.

20 Gallon Tank, and they're zebra danios.

yea, like librarygirl said you will prob see them in a little bit just keep testing daily to be sure.

Also what type of test are you using?

Update: The color of the ammonia test is not 100% yellow anymore (0.0ppm), but is still not green enough for that .25ppm area. So I would say its getting there but slowly. At what reading should I do a water change for the fish?

you want to keep it under .5 ppm for sure but anything over .25ppm is said to cause stress on your fish so that's a great target.

Back
Top Bottom