How Many Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm buying a 55g tank and was wondering how many angelfish I can have in it? I plan on have 2 bn and a couple of female gouramis in the tank too. I'd like to get 4 congo tetras also.
:fish1:

I'm buying a 55g tank and was wondering how many angelfish I can have in it? I plan on have 2 bn and a couple of female gouramis in the tank too. I'd like to get 4 congo tetras also.
:fish1:

Good morning Nevada/Malti...

Hope you had a restful Turkey Day! Not an authority on Anglefish, but I understand they need large tanks, so a 55 G is good. But, you can't keep too many fish in the tank, because Angels need a lot of room.

Unfortunately, Anglefish don't mix well in a community tank, because they can harrass smaller fish, even have them for lunch and fish their size will nip the Angel's long fins.

To have a good chance of success with the Angelfish, you need to put them in with very peaceful fish and peaceful fish that aren't too small. My handy fish book recommends Swordtails (several females and a single male) and Corydoras (mixed species, they're all peaceful).

Stocking numbers: Angelfish, no more than four. Corys, up to eight and Swordtails, up to 5.

B

I personally have 3 angels in my 55, we will see if any ever pair off, if that happens, I may make changes by removing the thrd wheel, but right now I have 3 medium angels, 12 blue tetra, 2 powder blue gouramis, 3 corys, and a couple plecos.... everyone seems comfortable right now, no bullying, I was advised as to no more than 3 Angels in a 55, I know I am FULLY stocked and ramped it up to this point over months to get the biofilter adjusted... The angels right now are very tolerant and dont even notice the rest of the community, we will see if that changes once they get bigger...

I'd go with 2 angels. Congo tetras are schoolers so you should go with atleast 6 of them. :)

Back
Top Bottom