How many CFLs do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lagoonlyrics

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How many 23w 6500k CFLs do I need? I'm growing dwarf sag, crypts and a sword. Lights will be 5" above the water surface/19" from the substrate. CFLs will be mounted sideways in a lightbox. Interior of box lined either lined with foil or painted white. No CO2. I was thinking two lamps would be enough? Or should I go with three?

Previously I had two 23w cfls in clamp-type fixtures with aluminum reflectors sitting right on the glass canopy and was getting nice growth.

How many 23w 6500k CFLs do I need? I'm growing dwarf sag, crypts and a sword. Lights will be 5" above the water surface/19" from the substrate. CFLs will be mounted sideways in a lightbox. Interior of box lined either lined with foil or painted white. No CO2. I was thinking two lamps would be enough? Or should I go with three?

Previously I had two 23w cfls in clamp-type fixtures with aluminum reflectors sitting right on the glass canopy and was getting nice growth.
You will seriously limit the amount of PAR mounting the CFLs horizontally. To get the maximum amount of PAR from a CFL it needs to be VERTICAL. As far as how many...what size tank?

img_2972229_0_8999e2a801948304949f33457cf328e2.jpg

Really? I had read that most of the CFL's light is emitted from the sides? They wouldn't be mounted with the aluminum dome reflectors.

It's a 29 gallon, 18" top to bottom.

Three should be more than enough. But as said above, I would have them vertical. Tube CFL's are what emit horizontally.

See if you can find reflecting white paint that's safe for fixtures. It will give the best light penetration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Really? I had read that most of the CFL's light is emitted from the sides? They wouldn't be mounted with the aluminum dome reflectors.

It's a 29 gallon, 18" top to bottom.

Do you have the tube CFL(T10) or the standard spiral CFL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are standard spirals. On further research I realized that all the search results that said horizontal was best were all for terrestrial plant growers(primarily pot growers:eek:) If I specify aquatic then I get the consensus that vertical is best. Strange that the ideal position is different between aquatic and terrestrial.

That being said, if I were to go with horizontal because of space constraints, would I need 4 cfls?

It really depends on the shape of the reflectors. Three should still be sufficient for your plants. I have four, vertically, with the highest reflective surface domes that give em great par and coverage.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They are standard spirals. On further research I realized that all the search results that said horizontal was best were all for terrestrial plant growers(primarily pot growers:eek:) If I specify aquatic then I get the consensus that vertical is best. Strange that the ideal position is different between aquatic and terrestrial.

That being said, if I were to go with horizontal because of space constraints, would I need 4 cfls?

There are some older aquarium hoods that take the T10s. First time I have heard about pot growers. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulbs like this are best mounted horizontal. The standard spiral bulbs are best mounted vertical.

What size tank is this again?

I am using three 26 watt CFL's in shop hang lights like these. Bayco Metal Shield Incandescent Utility Light: Tools : Walmart.com mounted about 5 inches above the water. I spray painted the inside of each light with chrome paint and removed the bottom cage. I mounted them on a board and screwed that into the wall. I have a 29 gallon tank and I have dwarf sag carpeting. I have had better growth with them than I did with the cheap dual T5HO light I was using. That light went to my 20 long tank. I am using CFL's in metal dome clamp lights on my other tanks and get high light for a cheap price. I am using the spiral CFL's and was worried that mounting them with the light coming from the side would decrease my tank light but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

I use four CFLs 23 watt x 6500k mounted horizontal in a old gutted single tube light fixture. I also have a 29g with the same plants you are trying to grow with great results. One thing though it gets pretty hot, but with a lil ventilation it's ok.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403238436.881539.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403238463.471225.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403238491.032572.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403238524.357846.jpg

I run the same setup as pitbully. it works really well.. I've added a small fan and drilled holes.in the top to cut down on heat..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1403264634409.jpg
    1403264634409.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 61
Back
Top Bottom