How many cory cats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Better make it 5 - 6. Cories are schooling fish. If you go with pygmy cories. You can do 10 - 12.

Personally I'd say you're pretty well stocked just with the 5 Guppies and 2 Rams.

Better make it 5 - 6. Cories are schooling fish. If you go with pygmy cories. You can do 10 - 12.

In an already stocked 20G? Uh no. Cories need a big footprint to thrive.

Stocked with 2 GBR's and 5 guppies? Do you know what a GBR is? That's not even close to stocked. And that footprint is ok. It's not ideal, but neither is stocking less than a recommended school.

So long as you do your weekly water changes, you'll be fine. Since the tank is new, I would add two at a time, going at least a week between additions. This will allow your bacteria colony to catch up to the bioload without creating any mini cycles. If you would rather go with the 4 cories instead of more, you can get away with that. I wouldn't go less than 4 though. Also, try and stick with the same species. If you put different ones in there, they may not stick together.

It's been setup for 2 weeks and I started it off with some media from one of my other tanks. All the parameters are fine and I already have the guppies and GBRs but I will soon move them.

The thing to watch out for is if your GBRs go into breeding mode they may try to push Cories away. But just keep an eye on them. Plenty of plants will help. And yes 6 Cories are better than 3.

Is it really necessary to have more than one Cory? I have kept several tanks over the years and always had just one and they seem to be fine...

While 1 Cory may seem fin, he is lonely. Even with other fish, they really need 3 minimum. As for the original question, I think 3-4 Cory's will do well. They aren't schooling, they are schoaling. There's a difference. And try to get a smaller type like pandas or flagtails

Back
Top Bottom