How many female cichlids in 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peacockkeeper

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am pretty new to the hobby and I started with a 10g tank with 3 cichlids juveniles as I began to familiarize myself with proper fish care I soon realized a 10g was way to small. I then added a 29g as they started to grow. I added 7 more juveniles knowing that I would be adding another tank very soon. Well I have since added a 75g and gotten my fish moved in. My goal is to end up with an all male show tank. Because I have been buying unsexed fish I inevitably have ended up with some females. I have been planning on using the 29g to house the females but I am wondering how many can be kept in a 29g. I know this tank is on the small side for cichlids so I want to know if I can keep the females in there or if I should try to rehome them as best I can.

That's a good question as females are not the most aggressive by themselves either I'd say 10 if your doing all females but it's more of a guess

Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking. And now that I have the larger tank set up I will probably start buying young males instead of unsexed fish. When I only had the 29g I wanted the smaller fish but now I don't mind spending more for the males. I know for sure I have 1 adult female 2 juvenile females and 3 Jacobi freinbergs that I can't tell yet (I think at least 2 are male). They are all in the main tank for now but as I add more male fish I'm going to transfer them over to the 29g before problems arise.

Back
Top Bottom