How Many Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeeperOfFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 40 Gallon Hexagon Aquarium and i was wondering how many fish i can have in them.

Fish already in it include...
8 guppies
3 platys
3 otocinclus

There are many factors to consider:
Species of the fish you want to add.
Maximum adult size of each fish in the tank.
The filtration setup that you have
Some people use the general rule 1 inch of fish per gallon of water.
I personally believe that the water surface area should be taken into consideration because it plays a part in the oxygenation of the water.
You need to consider how the tank is planted if at all because some species require hiding places, while others will tear through live plants and uproot them.
And frankly these are just a few of the considerations to be taken into account.

oh well mainly im only going to get guppies, mollies, and platys and they only get about an inch right so and my tank is partially planted(fake plants) and has a big rock that bubbles come out of that covers about half the tank floor but not tall so maybe like 30 fish?

also tetras or any other small community fresh water fish

I also want an angelfish so um ya if anyone can help me with deciding how many fish will be a good number

You could put 100 in there if you wanted, but 1 might be too much. It greatly depends on the fish you choose. Without knowing exactly how many of what fish you want, there's no way to say.

Back
Top Bottom