How many Guppies? in a 46L?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pratishk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I have a Fluval Edge 46L, started off with 6 danios, then added 4 male guppies, and recently added 2 more... loving the colourful guppies so wanted to know how many more could I add to the tank?

so current:
6 danios
6 male guppies

I wanted to have 12 guppies in total?

Would I need to try to sell my danios back to an LFS?

Also in a guppy dominated tank - what other fish would suit?

Thanks

Pratish

Not sure how many more guppies you could add but I would remove the danios for two reasons: space and compatibility. Danios (assuming zebra, blue, or leopard) are quite active and can become territorial/nippy. Not the best tank mates for slower fish with flowing fins.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

In a 10 gallon, with nothing else? Maybe 10 guppies with no danios. With danios, I wouldn't add any more.

gave my danios back to the LFS, got five more guppies - so have 11 guppies now.

also bought one electric blue ram, not sure if he is lonely - but just put them in the tank today and he seems to be hiding at the back...

Thumbs up on the danio return and new guppies. Not so sure about the EBR in a 10 g tank though, especially if it is a new tank.

EBR in a 10 gallon is a bad idea IMO. They can be mean and they are ridiculously fragile. That size tank with 11 guppies and the ram will be overstocked and likely lead to the ram's demise.

Thanks all, it is a 12gallon tank - but take your point.

I'll give him a couple of days and see how he gets on, since writing the earlier post - he has started to swim out a little and explore.

Moving forward, you should do your research prior to acquiring a new specimen. It may save you from a lot of hassles later.
From your other thread regarding the frayed fins on some of the new guppies, it appears you now have other factors (stress) to throw into the mix. Not an ideal situation for the EBR, aside from the tank volume alone. You might want to consider returning the EBR sooner than later and spend the money on a quarantine tank and associated equipment. I don't buy fish very often, but when I do they all go into QT for at least a week or two.

Thanks Fresh2O,

Yes the EBR was an impulse buy - I shall learn. He is swimming around a lot more now though - hope he settles in alright.

As for the guppies - adding a few more in the tank I thought would not cause any issues - As for the two guppies - is it just stress or are they ill?

I would return the danios. If guppys are anything like platys then I would return all but one of the platys and buy 2 female ones. In a month you will have a ton of fish for your tank. Or if you don't want the hassle of raising fry or feel bad when the guppy gives birth in the main tank and the fry get eaten then just keep the males and get like 3 more. Just be prepeared to buy 9 more fish in 2-3 years. I'm not super guppy man so I might of messed up.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks Fresh2O,

Yes the EBR was an impulse buy - I shall learn. He is swimming around a lot more now though - hope he settles in alright.

As for the guppies - adding a few more in the tank I thought would not cause any issues - As for the two guppies - is it just stress or are they ill?

It's hard to say about the guppies' condition. I assume that they looked fine when you got them.
I know you have a very detail thread on this tank (have not had a chance to read it all). When/how did you cycle this tank and how long did it take? Do you have a test kit to measure water parameters?
Edit: I saw your tank parameters on yet another thread. They look fine and the tank was cycled using the danios over a 7 week period. The only other thing I can think of is how slowly they were acclimated to the current tank.
Honestly, it is a challenge following multiple threads. I will defer advice to others.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom