How many inches per gallon is the consnesus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spinman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Wondering what you all consider as being the number of fish for a given tank.

It seems the general rule was 1" of fish per 5 gallons, but Paletta's book, The New Marine Aquarium suggests 1 " per 2 gallons.

Here's what I have so far in my 120 FOWLR:

2 clowns = 4"
1 YT = 2.5"
1 BHT = 3"
1 Foxface = 1.5
---------------------
Total 11"

I was thinking maybe a Purple Tang and then ending with a Flame Angel.

Appreciate your input.

Spin

personally id never let a rule decide what fish to get and what not to get. the rule changes fish to fish depending on a lot of differant elements that can not be measured. also something not sure about smaller fish but i know when working with some lager fish look at the foot print of the tank or area(length x width) for instance tangs need more swimming area inturn a larger footprint. not sure what a BHT is but id only go with one tang, other then that i think your list is good you problly have room for the flame angel if you want it

I never go by any rule either. I take into consideration the occupantsand their cause

Plus...if you have 120 lbs of live rock, won't that take up about 50 percent of the tanks space. I am assuming that when they say 1 inch per 5 gallons or whatever, that is the amount of water without all of the aquascaping?

I am assuming that when they say 1 inch per 5 gallons or whatever, that is the amount of water without all of the aquascaping?

Yes.

not sure what a BHT

Blue Hippo Tang? Right?

I agree with the rest. There is a "rule" but, as stated before, it depends on your inhabitants and their needs.

All I know is, sometimes when you look at my tank, you'd think it had no fish in it!!
It seems so empty with the five fish I have.

In any event, my new plans are to get 2 B XW Henis which are active swimmers. After that, go with the PT and FA.

Spin

Back
Top Bottom