how many plecos in a 125 gallon aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

875mill

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm trying to plan the stocking for my next tank, and wasnt really sure how many pleco that I could/should get. I know they are normally peaceful community fish, but I've never kept more than 1 to a tank. Was wondering if they are territorial or aggressive with other plecos? I was hoping to keep a bristle nose, king tiger, and a gold nugget if possible.
TIA.

Due to the size of my tank the BN will almost shoo the clown pleco away. There's no real agression but when they meet, the clown is pushed aside.
I think they get more agressive in a smaller tank if another pleco is present and they feel like there is not enough food to go around.

Becasue your tank is very big i would say that keeping two would be fine as they wouldn't meet as much and therefore be less worried about food. Especially with the smaller pleco's like the bristlenose.

I don't think you would have trouble with three plecos in a 125 gallon. Just make sure to have plenty of good hiding spots. And, please post some photos when you get all set up! Also, if you're looking for good pleco resources on the net, send me a PM for a few links.

I used to have 8 plecos in my 60 gallon tank. The trick is not to have more than one of any species and keep plecos of varying maturity rates. Some plecos, such as mature commons, can be very territorial. Royals become very territorial as they mature but when they are young you can keep multiples any species. To keep multiple plecos just remember one thing; build lots of caves. I would create at least 12 hiding places for my 8 plecos and of course they would fight over the best spot. The hostilities don't last very long. If you have an overly aggressive pleco that constantly wants to fight, get rid of it right away. I also kept relatively small plecos, most never grew over 6 inches.

My biggest problem with having that many plecos was that I had $400 worth of fish I almost never got to see.

All I can say is plecos are awesome, get as many as you can. Also remember they aren’t all algae eaters, provide them with wood and shrimp pellets depending on the species.

crazy cat has a couple of dozen plecos in a 125 . but her tank is not what anyone would call understocked. Still they all get along.

For some time I had two Sunshine pleco(7 & 8 inch) and a trinidad (8 -10?) in a 55g while the owners of the trinidad moved and I was reworking my other 55G and as long as they all had a place to hind everyone was happy. I found all 3 in the same cave a number of times... I could tell because it was the smallest cave in the tank with 3 huge tails fins hanging out the back. I will post a pick if I can ever kind it.

A 125G tank... As long as you have room for them to swim around and all have thier own hiding spot they should be fine. Just make sure you spread out the algee waifers so everyone gets some. Also might want to re-argange the tank if you have to add them one at a time so they can re do thier sleeping spots.

HTH

I have one bristlenose and one sailfin plecp in my 125 and there's no problem. I have a ton of hiding places, so i hardly ever see either one of them! If you haven't had a gold nugget before, be aware that they are not as hardy as many other plecos and can seem fine one day and be gone the next. the need a lot of natural wood to munch on, etc.

Back
Top Bottom