How much Chloramine in DC tapwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisethompson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I live in Arlington VA, just across the river from DC. I'm setting up a tank for the first time and realize that I have to neutralize the Chloramine in the tap water. However when I add AquaSafe the water still tests for ammonia. Even when I add three times the dose, the water still have ammonia in it. How much AquaSafe can I safely add? Should I be adding enough to neutralize all of the ammonia?

Welcome to AA!

What ammonia test are you using? Is is a Nessler or salicylate based test?

It's Red Sea brand. Has three reagents. Two of them apprear to be Sodium Hydroxide and the other is Sodium Nitroprusside.

One thing you can do to test your kit against your Aquasafe is to test your tap water without the Aquasafe (you may have done this already, forgive me). I can't imagine that DC water has so much chloramine that you would have such a situation, so I am grasping at straws, but I really suspect false positives.

dang you must be living in poop :). are there any geese around :p. lol step... step... step... step.. step. step. SQUISH

LOL...the correct question should be "How much LEAD is in your water?"

Sorry, j/k.

Let me see if I'm reading this right...your water out of the tap has an ammonia reading???

Yes, the water out of the tap tests for Ammonia. I understood this confirmed that there was Chloramine in the water. (I know for a fact that they do use Chloramine). When I add the correct dose of AquaSafe the ammonia level is reduced, but not eliminated.

I need some advice because I don't see how I am going to cycle the tank if the water always appears to have ammonia in it.

OK, I did some research, and found that you are correct. The dechlorinator reacts with the chloramine and releases ammonia into the water, resulting in a false positive reading. However, it is a less toxic form of ammonia. Look for test kits using salicylate reagents to avoid this problem. You should purchase a dechlorinator that detoxifies chloramine and ammonia. I used Kordon AmQuel when I used my tap water.

Another option is to do what I do now. My water was killing my fish, so I started buying ro water from Walmart. I fill up two 5 gallon jugs once a week @ $.33 a gallon. I then use additives to adjust the parameters of the tank water. It is a bit more work, but my fish love me for it.

Back
Top Bottom