How much current is right for angelfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crcurrie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently bought a used Nanocube 28g tank for my son to take his hobby to the next level. For the past year, he'd been keeping one angelfish in a 1g tank, which he had long since outgrown.

I didn't realize when I got it that the Nanocube is for a saltwater reef aquarium. However, I didn't think there was any reason not to use it for a freshwater environment.

We cycled the tank and then we added some neon tetras. Finally, my son transferred his beloved angelfish, Stripey. Stripey seemed bewildered in the new environment for a few days, drifting in a daze and not eating or seeming to recognize his human friends. Then he snapped back to himself, and seemed more vigorous, hungry and friendly than ever.

After a couple weeks of this, I received an order of two filter pumps that were missing in the tank's built-in filter when we bought it (we were using instead a small HOB filter that we got with the setup from the previous owner). We installed the pumps, and when activated, the effluent from the two pumps enters the tank through two directional nozzles at high pressure.

This creates a *lot* of current in the tank. Plants are swaying, the tetras are swimming hard against the underwater wave. Stripey seemed to be enjoying himself, at least at first, swimming up close to the nozzle and fighting the current at different angles. But by late tonight, he seemed to me to be a bit exhausted, and I thought it was time for him to rest. He was darting around toward one of the glass sides, and twisting his body, at one point, laterally in the water like a flounder. His stripes were dark, but I've noticed that sometimes they get dark when he's excited.

I was worried that he wouldn't be able to sleep tonight, so I turned the pumps off. Within a minute after the water calmed, Stripey went up to the nozzles to investigate the lack of current, and then he went to the aerator and started swimming through the rising bubbles -- something I've never seen him do before.

So I'm confused -- does he like the current, or is he upset by it? How much current is normally advisable for angelfish? For most of his life, he lived in a tiny tank with no current at all.

He's a sensitive fish, so I try not to overreact to his drama, but my son is fond of him and I don't want to do anything that will foreshorten his life or his enjoyment of it.

I appreciate any advice from forum members ...

Angels live in very slow moving water in the wild. I'd keep flow to a minimum. Glad you got him a much better home. May I ask what return pumps you're using?

Thanks for the reply. The pumps are the stock pumps for the Nanocube 28g HQI -- Accela 266gph. Is there any way to tone these down? Can I remove the nozzles from the returns to disperse the water a bit?

Angels usually are not big fans of currents. They like to float still a lot, and not make much effort to swim. Though Stripey may have enjoyed it at first he will not enjoy it for the long. You could try to put an decoration in from of the output to dissrupt the flow. If you could move the output nozzels down, or against the walls of the tank, so they arent creating such a current.

I dont agree. I have a 3 breeding pairs of angels in a 55 with a 500gph mag drive blowing 250-300gph and they have no problem. My other pair is in a 20g high with a 30-40 whisper quiet and they chill right in front of it.

I dont agree. I have a 3 breeding pairs of angels in a 55 with a 500gph mag drive blowing 250-300gph and they have no problem. My other pair is in a 20g high with a 30-40 whisper quiet and they chill right in front of it.

250-300 gph in a 55 is much different than 260 in a 28 gallon cube that has a nozzle directing flow. Mine does fine in a 29 with 2 aqua clear 50s but they don't push flow though the whole tank. The cubes nozzles do.

Yesterday, after I turned the filter on in the morning, Stripey planted himself inside a large Amazon sword in the back corner and pretty much stayed there all day.

He was frisky this morning after a night in calm water, but after he and his companions were fed, my son turned on the pumps and he panicked again, darting into his favorite spot when he's terrified, the front bottom corner of the tank. Then he would come out a little to press his face against the pane in front of my son, imploring him, it seemed, to turn off the pumps. Occasionally, he had panic attacks and darted around the tank, then back into his corner.

The current in the NanoCube is *really* strong. Even the neon tetras and the new glass catfish all come out of their hiding places, band together, and seem to fight the current.

I called the manufacturer and was told to adjust the direction of the nozzles. But no matter which direction -- up or down, left or right -- there's just tons of current in the tank. Evidently, there's no way to adjust the flow rate on the pumps. I wonder if there are smaller pumps that would work in that filter? Or could the nozzles be removed?

I've uploaded a short video that shows the situation in the tank with the pumps on. You can see the plants waving, and Stripey at the moment has deposited himself in back of the aerator, which seems perhaps the calmest place in the tank. He's hanging near the bottom and doesn't look happy in the least. Note that the other fish have banded together in the open but are just holding their ground. When the pumps are off, they range widely over the tank, dart back and forth, go off on their own, and just generally behave more naturally.

Was it just a total mistake to set up a NanoCube as a freshwater environment? :facepalm:

The video upload evidently didn't work. I then uploaded it to Google+ and posted a link. That post is in moderation -- I guess that happens automatically when a link is included in a post. So maybe at some point the video will be available. Meanwhile, though, I'm interested if anyone has any ideas about modifying the filter setup ...

Back
Top Bottom