How much sand does everyone have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have about an inch in my tank. The only problem I see with removing a deeper sand bed is that it will cause a sizable ammonia spike. Imho the best way is to use a siphon to remove small amounts during your weekly water change and take up to a few months getting it where you want depending on the size of the tank.

How old is the tank?size? Depth of sand?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've got a 125 set up for about 2 years. I'm having algae problems.

I've got an average of about 2 inches now

when I set up the 90g I added rock than sand so basically no sand under rocks or behind plus with my clowns kicking sand around its got a thin layer back there but I think I used only 50lbs sand in all

1 and a half years old. 1 and a half-2 inches. Somewhere in that range

2years... I would not risk it. If you have algy problems its not the sand, cut back feeding and lighting. And honestly look into a algy turf scrubber.. they can do wonders for a tank. Also they are cheep and a good diy project

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Help me understand the risk of removing sand. There is lots of rock and very light bio load

Algae problems can come from the sand, but it's all variable. Detrius can build up in a deep sand bed, and pockets of gases that cause havoc when released. Having a good cleaning crew, nasarius snails, conch, sand sifting star fish, and gobies help take care of that. Removing your sand bed, or lessening it, will release problematic substances into your water column. This can be taken care of through water changes and if you take care when removing it.

But now about me. When I bought my tank, used, it came with a good 4 inches of sand bed. I decided this was causing issues and siphoned out all but about and inch. I regret that decision now, I wish I had about 2 inches. So, go slowly and make sure you save your old sand, you may want it back some day.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a 3in sand bed in my 165g
It's Pink Fiji and crush coral mix.

Works fine for me

Back
Top Bottom