How often can I add Aqua-Cycle in Freshwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

masai_chadi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The Aqua-Cycle solution instructions states that 5ml of solution should be added every 7 days. The lady at the local pet shop told me to add 5ml every 2-3 days. Should add it so frequently? Will it harm the fishes?

Is this what you are referring to:

p_120076_FS23827D.jpg

From what I've read, this product does nothing spectacular for your aquarium. There's certainly no reason to add it to your tank more than when you are first setting it up, assuming it does anything at all.

If you want something to jump-start your cycle, check into Bio-spira.

I wonder why lfs don't sell a 'seed' for the filter. The 'seed' can be some floss in the working filter at lfs. In this way, the new tank can be cycled very quickly.

gu2high said:
I wonder why lfs don't sell a 'seed' for the filter. The 'seed' can be some floss in the working filter at lfs. In this way, the new tank can be cycled very quickly.

None of us can figure that question out. It's selling trash for money. I wish I had a business where I could sell trash for cash.

gu2high said:

Because as someone else said, because they can get you to buy more stuff. After that bottle of cycle is gone, you'd be back buying more things. Some bad LFS want you to get as much stuff before you put the fish in the tank. That is where they make most of their money. There are usually low profits with the fish themselves.

Every LFS I asked for alittle gravel from a tank always said sure. Bio filter material costs next to nothing. If you know what to ask they will usually comply. Smart ones will understand and dumb ones will just think you are weird.

I like to think that these "products" are a tax on people who don't research like we the members of informational forms do. :p And yes I bought a few before I found my way here. You might even say the ricockulous cost of sillyness weeds out those who are not hooked. Like I obviously am. (Darn MTS is acting up again)

As for the topic of the thread, I don't use that stuff. In fact, I don't cycle much at all. I load all new setups will filter material from another filter and heavily plant from the get go. I don't have problems with losses, unless I try to rescue fish from walmart. :p

/end 2 cents

Back
Top Bottom