How often do fishes jump out of the water...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phrozian

Aquarium Advice Activist
This morning... I found my last fish (coffee) on the table, partially dried...
Apparently he jumped through a 1cm gap in my glass covered tank and landed on the table. I've checked the water parameters, they are 0/0/<10...

He's been happy and healthy, and I've had him for 14 months... He's never ever tried anything like this before... I know ammonia spikes can trigger darting, but is there any other explanation for this to happen? I guess I'm just looking for a bit of closure.........

Fish just jump sometimes.

Did you test for ammonia?

Yeh I did, parameters were 0/0/<10
He's never tried anything like this before, it's just a little hard to accept :(

Could have been a bug at the surface, a reflection, anything really. I'm sorry for the loss.

What kind of fish was it?

The only fish I had jump out of my tank have been arowanas, they have found the smallest hole on the cover. My African mbuna tank is uncovered and I have kept angels for years uncovered, Im surprised not to have found a dried up mbuna on the floor, they are very hyper.

A straight tail goldfish right? I wouldn't have normally thought goldfish could get that sort of speed? They must do tho!

Sometimes fish do just freak out and dart for the surface, for no reason in particular. It's quite possible in your case this fish has jumped quite a few times but only on this occasion has he made it through the tiny gap and out of the tank!

A straight tail goldfish right? I wouldn't have normally thought goldfish could get that sort of speed? They must do tho!

Sometimes fish do just freak out and dart for the surface, for no reason in particular. It's quite possible in your case this fish has jumped quite a few times but only on this occasion has he made it through the tiny gap and out of the tank!

Yes indeed it was a straight-tailed goldfish. He was a common :(
I guess that must've been true... he's always had a fascination with the surface of the water, somehow :S

Thanks for all your condolences :) Much appreciated. I will definitely buy a solid cover for all my fish tanks from now on!

Back
Top Bottom