How often do you siphon the botom of your aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How often do you siphon the botom of your aquarium?

• every 3 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • twice per year

• Never

• every 1 week

• every 3 weeks

• every 1 month

• every 2 months

• Total voters
I gravel vac. ea. 2-3 wks during PWCs of 25-35%. Lightly planted, overstocked minibow 5g (see sig, link)

Shelby_Tempo_GT said:
gu2high said:
I can't vote, I do it every two days. Do 25-30% of water change at the same time.

a 30% water change every 2 days?

Isn't that a little excessive?

Depends on what kind of fish they are and how the tank is stocked. Not excessive at all. You can never change it too often.

I change 50% weekly and do a vac on every change. All tanks are sand.

I do it every two days because the current 10 gallon tank is quite crowded. There are 2 cories, 2 platies, 40+ fry, 2 zebra danio, 3 otos.

Some will move to the new 58 gallon tank, I want the new tank be planted so that I won't vac much, maybe do a slightly vac per week when do pwc.

PWC 1X a week, vacuum every other. Very light bioload for size of tank.
Reg. gravel, 3 lava rocks, driftwood and 6 or live plants for now, with 18 fish 2" or smaller. 90 gallon acrylic.

Pretty much weekly. It's a moderately, on it's way to heavily planted tank. I obviously only gravel vac the parts that don't have plants yet... but I also have a pleco who makes extra mess. Oh, yeah, it's gravel... has driftwood and rocks...

ecocomplete gravel/sand, LOTS of plants.

50% PWC every week

have not ever cleaned the gravel (and don't plan to).

Pool Filter Sand in all of my tanks.

50% PWC weekly and I do not clean the sand.

fully planted

I vac with every PWC. More specifically:

35G barebottom with plants in pots or tied to ceramic decor. Bare spots are vacuumed fully; wand is mowed through the top of ecocomplete substrate in the pots to remove the top layer of gunk

10G DP tank, heavily planted - I do the "mowing" thing throughout this tank - gently turning over the top 1/2" of the sustrate; obviously some spots you just can't get to - like at the very base of the swords

2x 3G Eclipse (1 Betta tank, 1 ADF tank) - same mowing action as the DP tank

2 x 2.5G barebottom tanks (1 Betta, 1 Female Platies) - the Betta tank is done 1x a week. The plants are "floating" java moss and a java fern (they're not tied down) and a ceramic cave. The java moss is rinsed each week and the barebottom is easily cleaned. The Platy tank gets done every 3 days - those girls are poop machines LOL. They have java moss and a ceramic cave also - the moss is rinsed each time and the cave is moved to get under it.

once a week when i do a pwc, i just use regular gravel. i'd like to get my hands on some eco-complete and only have to pick up the top layer

Shelby_Tempo_GT said:
gu2high said:
I can't vote, I do it every two days. Do 25-30% of water change at the same time.

a 30% water change every 2 days?

Isn't that a little excessive?

not if you have discus...

*Those marble stone things you put in vases
*A bunch of big rocks for caves
*LOADS of fake plants

i do it everytime I do a water change which is usually once or twice a week ^__^

on my 55g -- heavily planted. 25-50% PWC weekly, no gravel vac. driftwood decor, 50/50 flourite/PFS

on my 30 gal 50% minimum PWC weekly, PFS, ceramic decor (this tank is slightly overstocked -- 2 Pseudotropheus socolofi/2 jewels...10 z danios as dither and a queen arabesque pleco

I voted never. Ever since my overhaul in August, my (moderately heavily planted) 38-gallon tank has been remarkably debris-free. I use my tweezers to pick out the occasional dead leaf, and I clean my filter intake tube 1-2 times per week. I haven't had to clean the (Eco-Complete) substrate for many months, though. It remains extremely clean and very nice looking with pretty much no work on may part.

Back
Top Bottom