How often should i change my water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 7 tiger barbs and 5 otos.
How often should I change the water?

My tank has only been set up for about 5 weeks ish.
at the moment this is what I do:

Monday
20-25% watch change
add API stress coat and leave for 10 minutes then add to tank. (no other treatment added)

Wednesday
10% water change.
Add stress coat 20ml
Tetra black water 5-10ml
Plant food 40ml
4 oxygen tablets (so when I add it back it's supper oxygenates the tank)

Iv noticed since iv been doing the water changes like this the tiger barbs color really comes out and they tend to stay at the front of the tank rather then hiding in the plants.
My tank
180L
26 degrees
Well planted
With air pumps. (in case you were worried I didn't have one because I use the oxygen tablets)

You should only need to do 10-15% every week at less you are over stocked or perimeters are testing higher then you would need to up the percent of how much you change. But your live plants should be helping filter. Hope this helps :)

What would my live plants be doing? Would they be absorbing most if the nitrate along with a little ammonia?

Yep they feed on it. Actually some of us including myself use live plants in our filters to help reduce ammonia,nitrite and ammonia when we are over stocked

Last edited:
Banana mouse said:
That's great :D I'm not over stocked am I ??

I'm not very good with stocking these type of fish but I would say no your not but probably close to it. But hopefully someone that knows more about these type of fish will chime in. If not then start a new thread. ;)

Okay that's good :) thank, I don't think I am my mums boyfriend has a tank a little bigger then mine and he has 20 tighter barbs and people say its fine so I guess I'm fine, I'm not adding anymore fish anyway.
How does 10% on Monday then 10% Wednesday day sounds? That's 10% less

Sounds good glad to see your keeping up on your pwc just don't forget to test to make sure its all going well. Since your asking about this I want to ask how often do you clean your filters? Cause you seem to really like or want it clean

I test my water twice a week and they give me recommendation on what to do if something is out of check. I clean my filter once a month and when I do I clean it in fish tank water with a little stress zym, i just shake it around but I replace the filter floss once a week.

Banana mouse said:
I test my water twice a week and they give me recommendation on what to do if something is out of check. I clean my filter once a month and when I do I clean it in fish tank water with a little stress zym, i just shake it around but I replace the filter floss once a week.

Normally you shouldn't clean the filter till the flow of the water has slowed way down. The filter will carry most of your bacteria that it needs to fight off ammonia and nitrites and to change them into nitrates. Imo if your changing your filter and water that much I can't believe you don't have more problems with water quality. But if it works for you then keep on doing it I guess. Just a little more opinion advice :)

I swear by 50% weekly changes regardless of whether or not the tank is planted and independent of any nitrate readings. If I had 0 nitrate on a probe, I would still do 50%. There are a lot of things in the water that we can't measure or test for. Fish rely a lot on pheromones which are greatly concentrated in our tanks.

HN1 said:
I swear by 50% weekly changes regardless of whether or not the tank is planted and independent of any nitrate readings. If I had 0 nitrate on a probe, I would still do 50%. There are a lot of things in the water that we can't measure or test for. Fish rely a lot on pheromones which are greatly concentrated in our tanks.

Very well said, but imo 50% is a lot and could make to much of a change in the water chemistry and be to stressful on the fish when its not needed. But I feel your right about weekly's and some of it needs changed. But this is just my opinion and I'm not trying to argue ;) I know everyone does things different and things work different for all people or tanks.

When I open it up it is pretty dam clean. The filter floss does an amazing job, I think I might start cleaning it every two-three months or when the current slows down, does that sound good as well? Lol

You know on the fluval the bite that takes the water out the tank, I put a lips mall amout if the floss in there so that keeps a lot of the debre out and It removes a large out of it.

Banana mouse said:
When I open it up it is pretty dam clean. The filter floss does an amazing job, I think I might start cleaning it every two-three months or when the current slows down, does that sound good as well? Lol

You know on the fluval the bite that takes the water out the tank, I put a lips mall amout if the floss in there so that keeps a lot of the debre out and It removes a large out of it.

I use rena canister filters and a home made sump so I'm not sure about any other type of filters. I only change like 15-20 gallons on a 180 that's overstocked but I have one heck of a filter setup that only gets cleaned every 2-3 months. And my water tests perfect just saying.

Very well said, but imo 50% is a lot and could make to much of a change in the water chemistry and be to stressful on the fish when its not needed. But I feel your right about weekly's and some of it needs changed. But this is just my opinion and I'm not trying to argue ;) I know everyone does things different and things work different for all people or tanks.

No worries at all. One of my favorite things about the hobby is that there are almost always multiple ways to achieve success. We've been doing 50% + changes on ~80 tanks (2500G +) for a couple years without ill effect and larger changes definitely stimulate spawning in many of the species we keep.

There no harm in try in every two months is there? As I said I open it up every week because of the filter floss so I can keep a close eye on it.

Your water parlemonts - good job :D

It shouldn't have any harm at less you slack on water changes. Now trates may go up some but as long as its under 40 its cool. How does the water test today?

I agree with HN1. 50% water changes weekly is the way to go. I do this on all my tanks also. If the waters from the same source every time I don't see how there could be a change in parameters. Why not flush as much clean water through your tank as possible? Clean water makes healthy fish.

Just a few things I want to throw in:
1. Water changes shouldnt and won't ever stress your fish or change your water in a negative way unless your tap is super high in nitrates or some other chemical thing.
2. There's nothing wrong with cleaning your filter that often unless you aren't using tank water to do so, and make sure to keep the media wet the whole time.
3. Unless its easier for you, I don't see why one large pwc per week can't be substituted for the two small ones.
4. How often you need to do a pwc depends on how quickly things build up. Once a week is great but if levels get high within that time then do them however often you have to in order to keep levels acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom