How often to change filter cartridges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captainGregor

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is the general consensus on filter cartridge change frequency?
I have Emperor 400 and it's been more than a month. I wash the cartridges every week in aquarium water to get the debris off. Please share your thoughts and experience.

Since with an Emperor 400, your bacteria in on the biowheels, it depends on two things.

1) Is any water going over the extra spillway around the intake? I doubt you have this problem if you're washing the gunk off.

2) Cloudy water (Even the slightest) or smell? The activated carbon is only going to last a month at most, less with a higher bioload. This would probably be your number 1 excuse to change it out.

Personally, I just wash off the filter cartridges, since they just trap debris. I keep the media baskets full of activated carbon, changed at least monthly.

I have the penguin biowheel, which works on the same basis of the emporer biowheel.

I wash off my cartridge during a weekly water change or, as ferret stated when there is water coming back in over the intake:

1) Is any water going over the extra spillway around the intake?

On average I end up changing the cartridge once a month, which a couple of rinses inbetween to get the buildup off.

Hi Capt. Good to see ya again. I think by now everyone knows how I feel about carbon, but that's actually more specific to discus. I've got penguin 330s on my 55 (and 125 temporarilly). I change cartridges between 2 and 3 weeks and that's probably overkill.

I have HOB filters and never change the media. I just rinse it out as that is my source of bacteria. I also don't bother running carbon at all unless I need to remove meds or something particular.

There is no way that carbon lasts even a month, probably a week. Activated carbon will bond with water in addition to anything else so it doesn't take long for it to wear out.

Thanks guys
There is no water running over the spillway. There is no "smell" to the water besides regular "wet dirt" smell. I clean those cartridges every week with my regular 20% water change. I also clean the sponge of my wet-dry PH in the same water I drain from the tank. I also have carbon in media baskets and will change it on monthly basis. I will probably change cartriges after 6 weeks or so - I got a 6 pack at home. I am planning on having Bolivian Rams in that tank (6) and I am getting used to good water regiment.

I use a new filter for about a month. Then I slit the plastic on the back dump out the carbon a keep using the same filter for well A LONG time rinsing once a week. Don't need carbon! I also have the 440 as you already know.

I've been told not to change filter cartridges at the same time I do water changes, to wait a couple of days, since the water change is going to take some beneficial bacteria with it.

I'm intrigued by re-use of the filter cartridges - sure would save some money. I'd be afraid to do that with the cartridges on the goldfish tank, though, because those gorgeous little goldies are major waste and ammonia producers. But I think I'm going to try it on my other FW tropical tanks.

I never use cartrigdes.
I replace them with sponges. Generally Aquaclear sponges.
I clean them just as was described for the cartridges but also give them a few good squeezes to clean them out a bit.
I just threw away my first sponge, after 15 years of continuous use.

IMO, cartridges are just the same as burning money.

Best,
dino

Where do I find sponges that will fit a penguin 330 so I can get rid of my cartridges?

I agree with Dino and tkos.
I maybe wash out the cartridges once every 6 months,
put carbon in once every 3 months (in the extra media cartridges)
do a water change once a month,
and I never have any problems.

Never used sponges, but I agree with the "cartridges are just the same
as burning money" sentiment, if your buying new ones every month.

I never bought sponges for my Aquaclear filter. I just bought a box of fluvial sponges and cut them into the right shape. Any sponge or filter floss can be made to fit.

As for changing the water and then waiting to change the filter media. That doesn't work as there really is no bacteria in the water that is free floating. Bacteria needs to grow on a surface.

Back
Top Bottom